How are the PRS Tremolo Systems

tc1072

Hi All, long time player, but new here, and have been itching to get a PRS for a long time now. Looking at a core or CE modeI right now. play a ton of 80's hair metal/rock, as well as 80's thrash, and some newer stuff, but a ton of the stuff I play there's a decent bit of Floyd Rose work involved, and most of my other guitars have a Floyd on them.

I've been trying to find the "right" one (in stock), which has been very frustrating to say the least with the general shortages of just about everything thanks to COVID... My initial intention was to find a PRS with a Floyd and hotter pickups... But .... yeah, harder than hell in my area...

I DO have an Ernie Ball Music Man Monarchy Majesty (Petrucci), that has a fantastic trem (not a Floyd), that stays in tune with a ton of Dives/pull backs etc... So to my question- I was wanted to know how the "regular" PRS trem acted, do they hold tune as well as the Floyd version?

I cannot speak for the core models but I have 3 S2s with trem arms on them.
All 3 work perfectly. The guitars stay in tune and return to pitch flawlessly.
They work as well as the trem on my EBMM Luke.

Thanks!!! Thank broadens my horizons quite a bit!

For the most part, I'm seeing either the 85/15 (Alnico) pickups, or the \m/ (ceramic) metal pickups. I'm a bit drawn to ceramic bridges normally, i like the "bite" they seem to have-does anyone have any opinions on the PRS \m/ PUPs?

Yes I have-that might have been perfect, but-I'm not sure I'd like the pickup switch location (way down below) on those after 20+ years of a normal switch positioning.... I also haven't liked the looks of some of the satin finish guitars I've seen in person.... I may pull the plug and grab this totally gorgeous looking Custom 24 Floyd, top looks mouthwatering., but the price tag on it may take a few more drinks lol

I've played guitars with FR almost exclusively for many years and only recently acquired a few PRS with trem. I think the tuning stability on the PRS trem mostly comes down to the nut, how well the strings fit into their slots (and possibly requiring some lube). On the range, I found that on my S2 trem for example the most extreme down range on the low E is about an octave. The trem arm "stiffness" can be adjusted with a small screw. Even the S2 trems are very well made and have no sharp corners (looking at you, Fender!)

play a ton of 80's hair metal/rock, as well as 80's thrash, and some newer stuff, but a ton of the stuff I play there's a decent bit of Floyd Rose work involved, and most of my other guitars have a Floyd on them.
I recently bought a custom 24 and I like tremolo, you can dive and pull it without problem, however I can't compare it to my ibanez jem 7v or a Floyd Rose, or pull it will be much less pronounced, just have that in mind, for me it took a good vigorous work for a few hours to keep the tuning perfect! good advice here, from Warmart! ;)and since he gives excellent advice I can only agree with him, drink and get it! best idea so far:D

Well drink up and do what you need to do! :D
giphy.gif

Thanks!!! Thank broadens my horizons quite a bit!

For the most part, I'm seeing either the 85/15 (Alnico) pickups, or the \m/ (ceramic) metal pickups. I'm a bit drawn to ceramic bridges normally, i like the "bite" they seem to have-does anyone have any opinions on the PRS \m/ PUPs?
Find an older ce22 with dragon 1 pickups. Thank me later

Hey I have a, "PRS SE - Paul's Guitar," and it has a standard chrome bridge tail piece, Nothing fancy, and no threaded hole to place a tremelo arm. I was wondering if one of you pimps and players could possibly point me in the right direction, so I can get the most out of this beautiful instrument. I haven't owned a PRS for very long, but I am disapointed I didn't get into them sooner.

Basically, how do I fit a tremelo arm on my SE - Paul without fucking it up. thanks. Also, sorry if I distract your thread, I just don't want to make a new thread if it's only going to take one post to answer my question.

Regards,
Cruz

Back