How are the PRS Coil Splits?

Isaac cruz

I've been wondering, how are the latest PRS coil splits? I've tried using coil splitting before (with non-PRS guitars) and was never too excited about the sound.

On SE and S2 guitars, I would say it's fair. Can't say much for core as I don't own one that has coil splits. The S2's use resistors to partially ground the split out coil, keeping some of it in the signal, so it's not a total dropout of output, but I still find them a tad thin when I go grab a true single coil guitar. If you find the same, I like to use a boost pedal or beefy OD pedal to add some of the juice back to the tone. Also new to compressors and have had fair results with that as well.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but here is what they do on a 408 type guitar:

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/513_vs_408_how_are_they_different

The 408 has volume, tone, and a 3-way blade switch with the addition of 2 mini-toggle switches (down = humbucking, up = single coil). When the single coil mode is engaged, the screw coil is disconnected and approximately 1500 turns are added to the slug coil so there is virtually no volume loss when you go from humbuckers to single coils.

There are any number of video demos, including on the PRS site, that demonstrate them if you can’t get to a dealer to try them yourself.

A bunch of random internet opinions aren’t going to be as useful to you as evaluating them with your own ears and brain.

I find them very useful to clean up a sound that might be just breaking up.
Sometimes playing my HB-ii I will reach for the split that is nowhere to be found - maybe one day I will have to add a mini toggle or 2 to that guitar.

You don't have to use the coil splits if you don't like them, but good to have that extra option both now and in the future.

Tho the splits on most PRS are as good as they get ( The 408s are stellar ) I find the Vol and tone knobs work much better on a PRS and all the tools I need most of the time

I've been wondering, how are the latest PRS coil splits? I've tried using coil splitting before (with non-PRS guitars) and was never too excited about the sound.

I'd say that they are definitely better than most other guitar brands at coil splitting but it does depend on the PRS guitar model and its pickups. Some pickups split better than others.

Personally, I've found the best coil splits are on the PRS 408.

I think they're good enough that if you're playing a gig and use mostly humbucker tones, there's no reason to schlep a single coil guitar for the gig. But a true single coil pickup (be it P90 or Fender style) still sounds better if you do a side by side comparison.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not but here is what they do on a 408 type guitar:

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/513_vs_408_how_are_they_different

The 408 has volume, tone, and a 3-way blade switch with the addition of 2 mini-toggle switches (down = humbucking, up = single coil). When the single coil mode is engaged, the screw coil is disconnected and approximately 1500 turns are added to the slug coil so there is virtually no volume loss when you go from humbuckers to single coils.

I would love to have the schematic or a diagram of this. I just replaced my rotary switch with a 2 way toggle & added a push_pull tone. But I just can't seem to get the split to sound right? It drops off to 1/2 volume?

The DGT and 58/15LTs have some of the best splits I've heard, a critical part of that being the resistor-tap employed on the circuit. Instead of dumping an entire coil (mostly the reason why straight splits sound anemic), putting a resistor to ground on the tapped part of the switch allows you to control the frequencies of the tapped coil that are dumped to ground. I put them on my guitars when I redo the electronics and they sound phenomenal.

The DGT and 58/15LTs have some of the best splits I've heard, a critical part of that being the resistor-tap employed on the circuit. Instead of dumping an entire coil (mostly the reason why straight splits sound anemic), putting a resistor to ground on the tapped part of the switch allows you to control the frequencies of the tapped coil that are dumped to ground. I put them on my guitars when I redo the electronics and they sound phenomenal.
The perfect solution! Highly recommended.

The TCI pickups on the 35th anniversary SE in split mode are really nice.

Better than most others I have tried in the past from other brands.

Certainly nicer to me than my 2016 Gibson Les Paul standard with split coils.

The TCI pickups on the 35th anniversary SE in split mode are really nice.

Better than most others I have tried in the past from other brands.

Certainly nicer to me than my 2016 Gibson Les Paul standard with split coils.

Indeed the coil split on the 35th anniversary SE is so good. No other split coil comes near it in the SEs category.

Personally, I think PRS Pickups have the best Split tones I have heard.

I do wonder if those who believe there is 'Volume Drop' are actually hearing a drop in volume or a perceived volume drop because of the thinner sound. a 'fuller' sound can sound louder - even if the volume is the same. Loudness is subjective perception of sound pressure and if some frequencies are not as strong or missing, that can be perceived by some as 'quieter' - A fuller sound seems louder so splitting a coil can make it seem like there is a volume drop - some are much more susceptible than others too...

Back