How a "Sweet Switch" really works

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Em7, May 9, 2012.

1. crgtr

crgtr Twang Banger

I put a sweet switch on one of my SE One's. Did it with a Push/Pull on the volume. It's subtle, but cool.
    [​IMG]

2. aristotle

aristotle New Member

The part that didn't totally make sense to me about Em7's theory was the part about the 75 ohm impedance of the delay line somehow mimicking the capacitance of a 100 foot cable. Em7 is historically quite knowledgeable though, so I don't discount his conclusion.... His description in his post didn't make the case for me. We haven't heard from him in some time. Hope he's OK.

Cool SC One crgtr! Do you have a circuit diagram for what the add-on was?

3. ozboy

ozboy New Member

There is a sweet shift on a prs cu24 30th anniversary i have. There is no coil split. Sonically to my ears the sweet shift is almost like moving the pups towards the bridge.

4. crgtr

crgtr Twang Banger

I'll have to look around. I grabbed 2 off ebay a while back. One to use with push/pull & one with the mini switch.

5. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

:wink:
    Come, Igor, there's much work to be done...

#25 Boogie, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  6. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy PRS user since '87

The sweet switch in my #1 isn't subtle; it's quite useful and I think of it as being almost like a "vintage/modern" switch. Definitely sweetens the top end and brings out the mids slightly in a lively and voicelike way. There are subtle differences in what it does at each setting of the 5-way, and that makes it even more flexible- very handy indeed. I think these differences are due to variations in inductance for the various coils and series vs parallel.

I've also seen a number of comments from folks who tried using it with aftermarket pickups and heard almost no difference. So I think it may be best suited to the original T&B humbuckers with their unorthodox slug coils and exceptional treble response & attack. Yet it also seems to work with the the early versions of the VB/HFS sets, maybe not quite as well though.

During thirty years with this guitar I have grown very attached to that little switch. (Yet I admit that I still miss having a tone control, something I tweak a lot from moment to moment on my other axes.) Have considered getting one to replace the midboost in an HSS Superstrat, but I'm concerned that it might not be as effective with the Tyler pickups as it is with the old PRS ones. Yet I love the sweet switch. And that guitar, which was my first-ever PRS and remains my favorite to this day.

If anybody has a handle on what makes it less effective with certain pickups, I'd love to be able to predict reliably how it'd work in a different axe.

#26 eclecticsynergy, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  7. alantig

alantig Santana-free since '63!

I got the tone push-pull sweet switches on my PS build. The original sweet switch was a toggle, and I assumed this would be the same kind of thing - if the sweet switch is off, it's a regular tone knob, but if the sweet switch is on, the tone would have no effect. I was wrong - when the sweet switch is on, you can still turn the tone knob and it seems to change the frequency of the sort of notched wah effect.

dsenoj and I were talking about it, and he suggested a demo, so I'll pop something into SoundCloud in the next couple weeks and do my best to remember to put it in this thread.

8. VoxAC30HW2

VoxAC30HW2 New Member

Since my Custom 22 has the Dragon Pickups how will the
    Sweet Switch effect the sound of the pickups?