Hot Rodded SE Tremonti - Cars and Guitars

Steve_Chryssos

Enthusiast
First post. Might as well make it a good one.. I've very much enjoyed my SE Tremonti so far. It's time to make it more personal. So I stripped it completely down to the wood and shipped it off for a custom paint job. We'll do something that is complementary to my hot rod Camaro. I've had the car forever. The paint job will, no doubt turn the guitar into a keeper as well.
Though it might change, the current strategy is a goldtop -- only using the same paint code as the car, rather than traditional goldtop hues. Black back and neck, black headstock. While waiting for the paint to dry, I'm turning to you guys. Steer me in the right direction regarding components for a novice player. Influences can best be drilled down to Led Zeppelin and Guns N Roses. There's tons more influence, of course, but if you held a gun to my head and made me pick two...

So let me hear it. What components do you think I should use, Pickups to locking tuners and everything in between? I do think I want to keep Paul's fixed wraparound bridge design, but everything else is fair game including locking bridge studs.

I look forward to your feedback,
Steve

9289349882_1c4b9336f4_c.jpg

camp_0910_09%2Bmotor_state_challenge_autocross_event%2B68_camaro.jpg

the gold finish sure will make you play better :laugh: just kidding...

anyway, i think locking tuners are not necessary on stoptails, some proper stretching on the strings will keep them in tune. You've only stated classic rock influences, so I assume you're after classic rock tones. Pickups-wise, PRS sells the 57/08, 59/09 and 53/10 pickups which lots of people swear by them. Vintage-voiced, medium to vintage output, maybe i should let the pickup's owners chime in on that :D For Dimarzio, in the vintage zone, there's the PAF 36th Anniversary, Air Classic, and Bluesbucker (which from the description, sounded like Tele/P90s). For SD, there's the A2P or the Slash set, which is pure G'N'R, and there's the 59 and a bunch more that i can't recall at the moment. Otherwise, you have your Lollar, Klein, The Creamery etc.

The electronics are all fine if they're not broken, so I'd say there's no need to change them unless you wanted to make it as close as possible to the Maryland-made PRS. Some people also recommend changing the strap buttons, but I've gigged with them and I think they're great, haven't failed me as of yet.

Now, it's just a suggestion, but here goes. :laugh: why not sign your name on the headstock with gold marker? Since it's getting refinished and you're wanting to make it more personal :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback. I would like to upgrade the bits as well as the pickups. If nothing else, changing parts is a great way to learn more about how guitars work. Message board threads will only get you so far. :wink: At some point, you need to fell different parts in your hands. If there are any gains to be had from parts swapping, the cost seems more than reasonable.

As for the headstock, I have no difficulty remembering my name, so there's no reason to put it where I can see it. I love that these guitars are called "Student Edition". I'll find some interesting way to put that back on the headstock.

But that doesnt mean Paul can't remember his name aye? ;) Indeed swapping parts make you learn more. If you figured the experience outweighs the cost, I'd say just do it! I've done stupid things to my guitar without damaging it in the process, but I've gained experience from that as well. If you really think the stock electronics needed to go, the USA PRS parts are probably the forumite's first choice if you live in USA.

Back