Hot pickup for a PRS doublecut?

DI neck uses D4. I also talked to a guy I know who works for PRS and he said the same thing when he looked at my CE22.
He was at my tech's house with a Dustie Waring guitar he had built.

Gotcha. Yeah, I’m going to stick with my gut and believe it’s an A2 magnet.
Might be. I dunno.

Alnico 2 sounds warmer than alnico 4 but so does putting a metal cover over a pickup.

One reason rockers tend to like uncovered pickups and jazzers tend to like them covered.

I don't hear a huge difference between uncovered and covered.

That said I've considered trying covers on my SC250 pickups. In a band setting, they sound too similar to me.

As far as the Dragon II, I can't recall but I know my Dragon I bass sounds like my Tremonti bass.

I stand corrected. They definitely sound different. Of course I didn’t like how my D1’s sounded like in my CU24 but have loved them in all
Mahogany guitars.

lDOtLdg.png

I like the DI neck in my CE22. Warm yet good clarity.
Bridge Tremonti is nice and creamy with good texture, yet clear and tight with good authority in the low end.

I don't hear a huge difference between uncovered and covered.
A lot of people don't.

And a lot of people just like one look better than the other.

The rock guys have a certain image.

The jazz and blues guys have another image and some them even wear a suit!

Last edited:
I stand corrected. They definitely sound different. Of course I didn’t like how my D1’s sounded like in my CU24 but have loved them in all
Mahogany guitars.

lDOtLdg.png
So both the Dragon 1 and 2 neck pickups are 8K and alnico 4? Is that what that chart is verifying?

And the bridge D2 is 12K and alnico 4.

Interesting. Good to know.

I'm not crazy about alnico 4 although both Lindy Fralin and Tom Holmes like it a lot and use it in their humbuckers.

I can't think of any Seymour Duncans that use alnico 4.

Might be one and I just can't remember it tho.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong, but are most current PRS bridge pickups made with an Alnico II magnet?
I relalt like my Dragon I neck Pickup and would like to keep it because if I use a Duncan or Suhr, etc, I'd have to deal with the polarity issue.
I will be honest, I tend to prefer hot pickups as they feel better to me when I play. I tried the Dragon II and Rio Grande BBQ and went back to the Dragon, Tremonti and Aldrich.
My band plays mostly rock, hard rock and metal but I do like some versatility and playing medium gain tones and cleans. That said I have no problem with a hot pickup using the middle position which brings in the neck Pickup for medium rock and cleans, or using the neck for clean. I also will roll down some volume and or tone as needed. So with hot pickups, I make it work no issues.
That said, are there any PRS pickups you recommend that are far, sort of balanced but good lows that you'd consider versatile for classic rock to metal? I may give a used Dragon II another try if I can fine one. For now, my CE22 has the Tremonti and Drgaon neck. With the two pickups I can get what I need but I'd be curious what options I have. It seems all PRS bridge pickups now use an Alnico II which would have a softer squishier bass with less bass overall. The only Alnico V pickup I can think of is the Dragon II which is no longer.
I keep thinking I need a different pickup but I go back to remembering how guys like Santana liked a hot bridge pickup and it sounded great. Like Lewgyitar said about the Duncan Distortion and texture.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are most current PRS bridge pickups made with an Alnico II magnet?
I relalt like my Dragon I neck Pickup and would like to keep it because if I use a Duncan or Suhr, etc, I'd have to deal with the polarity issue.
I will be honest, I tend to prefer hot pickups as they feel better to me when I play. I tried the Dragon II and Rio Grande BBQ and went back to the Dragon, Tremonti and Aldrich.
My band plays mostly rock, hard rock and metal but I do like some versatility and playing medium gain tones and cleans. That said I have no problem with a hot pickup using the middle position which brings in the neck Pickup for medium rock and cleans, or using the neck for clean. I also will roll down some volume and or tone as needed. So with hot pickups, I make it work no issues.
That said, are there any PRS pickups you recommend that are far, sort of balanced but good lows that you'd consider versatile for classic rock to metal? I may give a used Dragon II another try if I can fine one. For now, my CE22 has the Tremonti and Drgaon neck. With the two pickups I can get what I need but I'd be curious what options I have. It seems all PRS bridge pickups now use an Alnico II which would have a softer squishier bass with less bass overall. The only Alnico V pickup I can think of is the Dragon II which is no longer.
I keep thinking I need a different pickup but I go back to remembering how guys like Santana liked a hot bridge pickup and it sounded great. Like Lewgyitar said about the Duncan Distortion and texture.
The Dragon 2 neck and bridge are both alnico 4 according to the chart I shared and the chart you shared.

You can fix the polarity issue by reversing the magnet. Just slide it out and either turn it around or roll it over.

A lot of people don't.

And a lot of people just like one look better than the other.

The rock guys have a certain image.

The jazz and blues guys have another image and some them even wear a suit!
Yes true, haha.
And there are no rules, there are lots of metla guys who liked covered for the look and low gain guys who like uncovered.
I just no for me, the difference isn't great. I notice much bigger differences from one guitar to the next.
I can have the same pickup with cover that seems to have much brighter highs in one guitar and darker smoother in another guitar.
That said as much as I love the pickups in my SC250, I've wondered how much different it would be with covers. Maybe I wouldn't notice. Just not sure I want to go down that road.

The Dragon 2 neck and bridge are both alnico 4 according to the chart I shared and the chart you shared.

You can fix the polarity issue by reversing the magnet. Just slide it out and either turn it around or roll it over.
Right so I coild use a BBQ or whatever and flip the magnet.
My 2001 SC has a #7 neck and Aldrich bridge but the middle position is thin as hell. I need to flip the magnet unless I get an Aldrich neck to make it a matching set. I've been appreciating matching sets more these days. I find I can often use the middle position with gain like on my SC250 since it's a matching set that works well. For now I may just finish the matching sets and run with what I have and focus on my playing. Lol.

What do you think about my question for a PRS bridge pickup that is medium output, good bass and versatile? Most are lower output A II.

Yes true, haha.
And there are no rules, there are lots of metla guys who liked covered for the look and low gain guys who like uncovered.
I just no for me, the difference isn't great. I notice much bigger differences from one guitar to the next.
I can have the same pickup with cover that seems to have much brighter highs in one guitar and darker smoother in another guitar.
That said as much as I love the pickups in my SC250, I've wondered how much different it would be with covers. Maybe I wouldn't notice. Just not sure I want to go down that road.
Right. But you did say you thought the Dragon 1 neck and Dragon 2 neck sound different.

And it would appear that they're the same pickup.

Right so I coild use a BBQ or whatever and flip the magnet.
My 2001 SC has a #7 neck and Aldrich bridge but the middle position is thin as hell. I need to flip the magnet unless I get an Aldrich neck to make it a matching set. I've been appreciating matching sets more these days. I find I can often use the middle position with gain like on my SC250 since it's a matching set that works well. For now I may just finish the matching sets and run with what I have and focus on my playing. Lol.

What do you think about my question for a PRS bridge pickup that is medium output, good bass and versatile? Most are lower output A II.
Yes. Flipping the magnet in a humbucker reverses the polarity.

I don't know that much about the newest PRS humbuckers other than that I like them.

As much as I think the name Pigeon holes a much more Versatile Pickup than I expected, I would recommend checking out the \m/ pups as they have a Hot (certainly by my standards) Bridge Pup and sound great in my Cu24 Floyd.

Pups are personal preference though so I can't say if you'll like them as much as I do or would be the best option for you - Tremonti's seem similar output too

Back