Hot pickup for a PRS doublecut?

Alnico II?
I couldn't tell you. They came out when I was looking for something a little hot but not harsh. Folks were saying you get that with 59/09's so I picked up a set. The treble pick up in a Custom 24 is super hot (HFS = Hot Fat Screams), and so I was looking to get something a little milder than that. Well the 59/09 is and it isn't. In the Cu24 stoptail, it hits the prestage of the amp really hard. I get breakup really early, but it doesn't get shrill or brittle. I ended up likening this set more because it will go into break up really early. It's pretty cool.

I think I'm grabbing an older Tremonti treble from a guy I've been talking to. It's one of the earlier models with the rounded bobbins and match it with my Dragon bass pickup and install toggle switch. All I really need is bridge, middle and neck positions. I'm ditching the 5-way rotary.

Enjoyed that. Although to be honest I found the pickup tones a little bit annoying after a while.

Paul said that he wanted to get away from that Eeeeee sound and get more of the Owwww sound.

I hear some Owwww but eventually a lot of that Eeeeee sound in those demos.

But this is 1990. That's why I said I like the sound of the PRS pickups PRS is making now, in 2023, a lot better than what they were making 30 years ago.

I'm sure Paul does too.

The humbuckers made now get more of that Owwww sound, and less of that Eeeeee sound I hear in those 1990 demos.

But I still enjoyed it! Very impressive.
Thanks for posting.

I actually think some of their older pickups sound exactly like their newer pickups. For example, I can't hear any difference between the Tremonti bass pickup and the original Dragon bass pickup. I've heard heard a few others that sounded very similar.

I have tried the Air Zone and wasn't my thing. I'd like to try the Tone Zone however. On paper it seems I'd like it.

Thanks for posting.

I actually think some of their older pickups sound exactly like their newer pickups. For example, I can't hear any difference between the Tremonti bass pickup and the original Dragon bass pickup. I've heard heard a few others that sounded very similar.
The Tremonti Bass is wound to about 7.36K and the Dragon Bass is wound to about 8K.

Both use an alnico magnet.

Don't know the type of alnico in the Tremonti but the Dragon Bass has an alnico 4 magnet which was one of the most common magnets found in 1959 Gibson PAF pickups - according to Tom Holmes.

The Tremonti Treble pickup is wound to 15.42K and uses a ceramic magnet. The Dragon Treble pickup is 19K and also uses a ceramic magnet.

From what I've read, the neck (or bass) pickup in the both the Dragon 1 and Dragon 2 pickup sets is the same pickup, with the only difference being that the Dragon 2 has a nickel cover. Don't know that for a fact. It's just what I've read.

The bridge Dragon 1 and bridge Dragon 2 are different though. The Dragon 2 bridge is a 12K pickup and uses an alnico magnet.

Tremonti Bass pickup is an Alnico 4.
Ive also been told by some guitarists that have had experience with both, they seem to be so similar.

Here is the info:

Last edited:
Tremonti bass and D2 bass are basically the same thing
Which indicates that the Dragon bass is also the same pickup, or very similar.

My CE22 has zebra Dragons. I'm replacing the Rotary switch with a standard toggle and installing an older oval or rounded bobbin black coil Tremonti Bridge pickup to pair with the zebra Dragon neck pickup. I was contemplating the replacement of the Dragon bass pickup to install a black cool matching Tremonti bass.
However, black with zebra should look fine and should sound great together. I doubt I'd hear much difference with Tremonti bass pickup compare to the Dragon bass pickup. I've also realized that I never use split tones or the seris/parallel tones. I really just need bridge, middle and neck position tones.
For leads, I find the neck position sounds so similar to the 2 position on the rotary, especially in a band setting. I'd rather just have the toggle and 3 positions.

Not a fan of zebra coils, in most cases.
I'd rather have a nickel neck pickup or black could.

Last edited:
Similar for sure. I definitely get different vibes from D1 and D2 bass. I love the D1 bass pickup
What are the different vibes you get?
I love the Tremonti neck pickup best but I don't know if I can justify the cost and time to replace the Dragon neck pickup.

The D1 is nice and articulate without being too warm (thanks to the a4 magnet). The D2 was definitely more “vintage sounding”. I mentioned that I liked them in my first Standard 24 but I hated them in my Standard 22, maybe just wasn’t the right fit for the guitar.

The Dragon 1 neck is also basically an uncovered McCarty. I don’t have a way to confirm or deny, but I think the D2 is Alnico 2 magnet. That tends to be a favorite for PRS neck pickups.

The D1 is nice and articulate without being too warm (thanks to the a4 magnet). The D2 was definitely more “vintage sounding”. I mentioned that I liked them in my first Standard 24 but I hated them in my Standard 22, maybe just wasn’t the right fit for the guitar.

The Dragon 1 neck is also basically an uncovered McCarty. I don’t have a way to confirm or deny, but I think the D2 is Alnico 2 magnet. That tends to be a favorite for PRS neck pickups.

Back