Hooo, hooo!

Fro

I’m not seeing any udders. I assume your talking about the knobs?

NazgulUK

Oops I did it again
Admire the work that's gone into it, but it's not to my taste

LSchefman

Historical Entity
I don't see a carving like this as all that different conceptually from a big dragon inlay splashed across the front of a guitar, and the dragon certainly appealed to me when PRS came out with that model several years ago.

A carving is inherently a little more rustic than an inlay. But it's all about appreciating something in context.

Give me one of those zillion buck rustic retreats in a beautiful mountain setting, and that guitar would be a great fit.

PS. I'd also take the retreat without the guitar, if anyone's offering. ;)

Last edited:

docteurseb

Humm... "Jabba The Owl" comes to mind.

I respect the time and skills it took to carve it but it's really not my thing.

It's weird how mismatched the backplates are though.
PRS normally uses a thicker mahogany piece for the back that they slice to make matching backplates out of; that clearly wasn't the case somehow.

Last edited:

docteurseb

Would love to give this bird a home, but a bit out of my range at the moment. I think this carved top was in the Private Stock Friday photos some months back. Amazing work and great to see it in it's final splendor!

https://willcuttguitars.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/prs-private-stock-8109

MW

Are you considering spec'ing a PS in Bullfrog or Rainforest Glow finish with a carved Hawaiian gecko ? :p
fe6c6a917c1c02c94289cfbdcd567596.jpg

Moondog Wily

Howlin' At The Moon!
Are you considering spec'ing a PS in Bullfrog or Rainforest Glow finish with a carved Hawaiian gecko ? :p
fe6c6a917c1c02c94289cfbdcd567596.jpg
I believe that is a photo an Anole (of the Iguanadae family, geko's are of the Gekoata family) not a geko. I think that would make a sweet inlay, but I have other ideas for my spec'd PS's. Thinking the first one may be an acoustic, but I first need to confirm the hype about how great they play (hopefully I will be able to play some in a trip come November). If true, I see an Angelus PS in my future (but I want a horned PRS headstock on it)! Loving my 2021 Winter NAMM PS CU24 (Wolfy MooNAMM)! It really does have a feel and tone above my Wood Library and Core PRSi!! As for this owl, just thought it was some great artwork, and if I had millions to play with, I would buy it and hang it on a wall!

docteurseb

Oh good to know, I always assumed those colorful tiny creatures I see in Hawaii were geckos !

I tried a used Angelus PS (BRZ RW back&sides) a few months ago as one popped up at a local store.
I jumped on the opportunity to confirm the hype and was itching to get one at the time.

Tone was great for sure, nothing to complain about but I liked the tone of the guitars I had (not anymore) just as much: Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe and Taylor 2020 814CE NAMM Cocobolo (one of the very few V-braced GA-sized Taylors I tried at any price point that didn't sound 'boxy' at all).

I wasn't sold on the neck shape and narrower nut width of the PRS but they surely can tweak that to your liking w/ a custom order.

Last edited:

Moondog Wily

Howlin' At The Moon!
Oh good to know, I always assumed those colorful tiny creatures I see in Hawaii were geckos !

I tried a used Angelus PS (BRZ RW back&sides) a few months ago as one popped up at a local store.
I jumped on the opportunity to confirm the hype and was itching to get one at the time.

Tone was great for sure, nothing to complain about but I liked the tone of the guitars I recently had (not anymore) just as much: Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe and Taylor 2020 814CE NAMM Cocobolo (one of the very few V-braced GA-sized Taylors I tried at any price point that didn't sound 'boxy' at all).

I wasn't sold on the neck shape and narrower nut width of the PRS but they surely can tweak that to your liking w/ a custom order.
Thanks Doc for that Angelus feedback! Hopefully I can find a few to strum on (A40, 50, 60, maybe a used PS) in a few months. I love my Martins (2019 J-40 and 1971 D12-20) but they take a pretty quick toll on my hand/wrist comfort. Maybe an hour a day on one of those and then I switch to electrics, otherwise my hand and wrist will be sore the next day (been playing 3-5 hours a day for the past 6 weeks or so). I know the Ovation's I played in the 80's and 90's were pretty easy play guitars, but I never cared for their tone (the ones I tried). The search goes on!