Home guitar rig without a cab?

I do like what the PS2 does, and I don’t think the OX will do the one thing that is important to me - make the loud quiet to whatever volume I choose via a potentiometer. Well, that and be a power amp. What the Ox does do that the PS2 doesn’t do, is (by all reports) class leading speaker / mic modeling. In fact the PS2 does not have that ability at all. It does have line out though. This is not an issue with my Mesa, as it has a couple of decent speaker sims. When I eventually get another amp(s), they may not have the speaker sims, so I’m curious about recommended options. I know about the Suhr IR, and the TwoNotes cabm+ and a few others, all IR based. I’m just wondering what else might be out there more along the lines of the OX modeler? Note I’m not really thinking helix/axe/kemper type modeling at the moment. There may not be anything out there other than the ox. I’m just curious. An Ox without the load box functionality basically. I tend toward option paralysis with the whole modeling and IR side of the coin. I like asking these type questions here, as the answers tend to be more well thought out vs. one word “Kemper” or “Helix” posts.

Finally, if I’m thread jacking, someone please kindly let me know.
I don't own an OX or the other gear mentioned in this post, so I have no dog in this hunt, but here a few thoughts:

The speaker and mic modeling on the OX are class-leading principally because the smart folks at UA figured out that IRs are static, unlike real speakers that react in certain ways dynamically as the signal passes through them. Apparently, they model the speaker not just instantaneously but how it reacts over time with an algorithm. They've achieved some pretty interesting results.

Their UAD modeling platform has been around for a long time, and has given them a lot of expertise (in my experience they're the most authentic sounding recording gear models on the market). I take my hat off to them. UA is a brilliant company.

There is an Italian company that has a software technology called Volterra that builds a model based on IRs over time, and I've used it. Sounds great, though the software hasn't worked well with my Macs, and they only model studio gear anyway, not guitar stuff.

A potentiometer isn't necessary with the OX, since all amps have a volume control, and many have one or more master volumes. You can click an OX into a preferred attenuation setting, and use the potentiometer on the master volume on the amp to adjust the level to taste.

I know of nothing on the market that competes with the OX that doesn't simply use IRs.

I ended up getting the Soldano SLO-30 head and Captor x 8 ohm loadbox. Its great the the headphones, especially since I play late at night. It doesn't sound amazing through my studio monitors but thats because I have my monitors siting below and there're so close they aren't triangulated with me. That's just a space constraint that I have right now. Overall very happy. Will still likely get a Soldano 2x12 vertical cab when I get more space!

I ended up getting the Soldano SLO-30 head and Captor x 8 ohm loadbox. Its great the the headphones, especially since I play late at night. It doesn't sound amazing through my studio monitors but thats because I have my monitors siting below and there're so close they aren't triangulated with me. That's just a space constraint that I have right now. Overall very happy. Will still likely get a Soldano 2x12 vertical cab when I get more space!
Excellent choice.;)

Outstanding

Great news GnarCalShrddr! We're so happy to hear this is working out for you!

Tough To Beat Any Of The SLO Models IMO For What They Do.

I'm looking at getting a Soldano SLO-30. I play at home in my apartment, and I play really late at night before bed. I currently have 2 yamaha hs7 studio monitors that I play my dj gear through. I was considering pairing the soldano head with a matching 2x12 cab. However I'm starting to think it may be overkill. I was considering getting a two notes torpedo captor x and plugging the xlr outputs into my studio monitors. I could also utilize the headphone jack for late at night. Just curious if anyway has done this before as their primary setup. I don't record but maybe someday the captor x could be useful if I ever get a DAW. TIA
Saw you got the 8ohm Captor X. Thats what I have. I use the headphones mainly too.

Last edited:
AS A SIDE NOTE:

For those looking for an amp that covers al kinds of ground and musical styles AND has headphone/cab free/recording options built in a suggestion would be the Revv G120 MKIII. Mesa Badlander is Another Amp Option Although Not As Loaded Option Wise As The Revv. Both Are Really Nice Amps With A Lot To Offer The User.

If memory serves, Suhr has an amp with a speaker emulation output as well. I think it might be one of their lower wattage amps.

You are correct. The PT15 has models available with that.
Yes, that's the one. One of my good friends from many years ago is a Suhr dealer, and called me when it came out thinking I'd be interested. He absolutely loves Suhr's stuff.

It is good stuff, of course, but except for the pedals (which I do have) isn't really my thing.

I listened to the demos, but couldn't really hear my kind of tone, so I politely said it's probably not for me.

Back