Home guitar rig without a cab?

GnarCalShrddr

I'm looking at getting a Soldano SLO-30. I play at home in my apartment, and I play really late at night before bed. I currently have 2 yamaha hs7 studio monitors that I play my dj gear through. I was considering pairing the soldano head with a matching 2x12 cab. However I'm starting to think it may be overkill. I was considering getting a two notes torpedo captor x and plugging the xlr outputs into my studio monitors. I could also utilize the headphone jack for late at night. Just curious if anyway has done this before as their primary setup. I don't record but maybe someday the captor x could be useful if I ever get a DAW. TIA

Hi GnarCalShrddr,

Amy from Two notes here! Sounds like the Captor X would be a great fit for your set up and even with low volume, it won't compromise on tone. You also have the Torpedo Remote that comes with it which opens up more possibilities for different cabs, mics, room, EQ etc, without having to use a DAW.

If you have any questions about the Captor X, let us know!

Hi GnarCalShrddr,

Amy from Two notes here! Sounds like the Captor X would be a great fit for your set up and even with low volume, it won't compromise on tone. You also have the Torpedo Remote that comes with it which opens up more possibilities for different cabs, mics, room, EQ etc, without having to use a DAW.

If you have any questions about the Captor X, let us know!
Hi Amy,
Are you able to run the Captor X without a cabinet connected to it for silent recording with an amp head? I see it has a switch to set it to low output but will it supply the amp with enough of a load without a cabinet in the mix?

For the past few years I’ve been using a very similar Two Notes rig for silent play and recording - mine is a Cab M with separate Captor load box - and have greatly enjoyed it. Very useful for home recording, and just playing without needing a cab. If you have good monitors, I’d highly recommend it.

For the past few years I’ve been using a very similar Two Notes rig for silent play and recording - mine is a Cab M with separate Captor load box - and have greatly enjoyed it. Very useful for home recording, and just playing without needing a cab. If you have good monitors, I’d highly recommend it.
Great news andy474x! We're so happy to hear this :)

I have been doing something similar but the Captor X would be a cheaper solution than what I am currently using if that is all I were using it for. I am running the head into a Fryette PS-100 then out of that into a Two Notes C.A.B.M + then to my interface. It sounds great but cost more to set it up. The upside to how I did it is that I can use the SP-100 as an amp for my modelers to run them into a guitar cabinet if I want to. It would have been nice to have an all in one unit but Fryette didn't have a unit like that until after I bought my PS-100.

At the risk of setting off a chorus of boos and hisses, I wonder… have you considered a modeler? This is an application (limited space, limited volume allowed) where they shine particularly well. Amps, cabs, effects all included.

I love amps, own a bunch of them, along with an Ox Box to tame them or interface with my computers. I’ve got a music room that I can blast away in. I’ve also got two Fractal Audio modelers (Axe Fx IIIT, FM9T) that I use often, sometimes with the amps. Point being I love using both, and am not trying to proselytize… it just seems a good fit for you, your space, and budget.

At the risk of setting off a chorus of boos and hisses, I wonder… have you considered a modeler? This is an application (limited space, limited volume allowed) where they shine particularly well. Amps, cabs, effects all included.

I love amps, own a bunch of them, along with an Ox Box to tame them or interface with my computers. I’ve got a music room that I can blast away in. I’ve also got two Fractal Audio modelers (Axe Fx IIIT, FM9T) that I use often, sometimes with the amps. Point being I love using both, and am not trying to proselytize… it just seems a good fit for you, your space, and budget.
You broke the ice...
Axe FX, Kemper, Helix, the new ToneX, and quite a few other useful examples...

My first big boy amp was a Line 6 AX212 back when I was in high school. A lot of the tones I heard on there are what made me want to explore the "real thing" later on in life. I just dropped some $ on a custom 24 wood library. Just looking for a dream amp to pair it. But I'm realistic with my needs and my current living situation. I live in the SF Bay area so the apartment life is pretty common here unless you're married and can own a home (maybe someday!).

My first big boy amp was a Line 6 AX212 back when I was in high school. A lot of the tones I heard on there are what made me want to explore the "real thing" later on in life. I just dropped some $ on a custom 24 wood library. Just looking for a dream amp to pair it. But I'm realistic with my needs and my current living situation. I live in the SF Bay area so the apartment life is pretty common here unless you're married and can own a home (maybe someday!).
I totally understand. Sometimes you just have to have a certain guitar or amp! I’ve been gigging the Fractal gear a long time now, but I spent decades on tube amps. Fortunately I’m one of those fortunate people with a tolerant wife and a house that’s not too close to neighbors, so I can fire them up when I want. Amps and modelers together are pretty awesome, too!

Get what makes you happy, my friend. I gigged a Soldano X99 setup for a good while, and it was a great band sound. Mike designs them well.

Back