Holy grail setup?

I am picky about intonation and probably do a fine check/adjust once a month (or when it’s audibly out of whack). My guitars do seem a bit sensitive to the environment in my house too.

2 of my 3 electrics also have a slight buzzy/pinched sound on high E and B around the 3rd fret (including my 1yr old 594). I’ve tried to adjust that out but can’t quite get there. Probably needs a fret checkup. But I don’t obsess over it.

I do tinker with pickup height, and pole height, on my 594. It can make a big difference (and at just the right settings, bring out a chiming tone).

As a starting point for my setup I basically follow PRS guidelines.Works for other guitars as well(of course).I set my stringheight for all strings at 2 mm(top of 12th fret to bottom of string).Trussrod and pickup height as PRS recommends.Lately though I have read about Kinman’s way of doing things so I lower g string polepiece and raise D string polepiece on both pickups.Nut has to be cut correctly of course.I use 9-42 strings for standard tuning on all my guitars(DGT,Gibson Flying V,2 strats).

Last edited:
I have almost religious approach to setup, but... not on daily basis. I usually take my time with full setup once in 4 months or so. That includes trust rod adjustment if necessary, string radius on the bridge side, and intonation.

Since I play 11-50 string set I opt for as low setup as I can get away with. I'm not a soft player so neck needs a bit of relief but my setup is still lower than of most of my jam mates

I forgot to add that since 15 years or so I deck trem with a wood block on all my trem equipped guitars. Got both of bot worlds - added sustain and snap from a metal block and plenty of sustain and vibrations back on guitar

Back