Holy Grail or a Hoax?

Harker1440

So is a solid Brazilian Rosewood neck the holy grail of tone or is it hoax perpetrated on us by guitar builders to spend extra coin on a guitar? Is really worth the money in the long run?

To me, it's all about the feel. I dont know how it effects tone, and I dont care as long as it sounds good along WITH the feel.

But the feel is what it all comes down to for me... it's like a hand-gasm when you play!

I used to have a ME SCT with the BRW neck. That guitar vibrates and the louder you play more resonant it becomes. I can't tell what part of that came from the neck, from the finish, etc, but it was an awesome guitar. Never compared the BRW with any other kind of Rosewood nor the Pernambuco (Pau Brasil is how we call it here). But I agree with the ones who say that every little detail counts for the big picture. My question is, those woods, were very important for acoustic instruments (guitars, violins, bows, etc) and I think in that scenario, they adds more to the sound and performance to the instrument then on the electrics.
I don't think there's a Holly Grail wood for electric guitar like Pernambuco is for bows but I do think you can find a guitar with not hype woods that pleases you. Sometimes a ash body and maple neck single coil guitar is the tool you are looking for.
But yes, Aldwyn is righ, the feel of the RW neck in your hand is hand-gasm and if you add volume is the real deal.

Holy grail or hoax? That's hardly a fair question (there are other choices, though I'm sure you meant it for dramatic impact).

People line up in droves to buy BRW guitars, probably for a variety of reasons. It's hard stuff to get, for one. So to meet the demand that is undeniably there, guitar makers use it. Why wouldn't they? It's only a hoax if the wood isn't really BRW.

Tap a piece of BRW, it sounds different from other varieties of RW. Whether that results in a better guitar is a combination of personal preference, one's own hearing and tastes, and even the other pieces of wood that make up the guitar.

The idea of a holy grail guitar is meaningless. If it floats your boat more than anything else you've ever played, then it's your holy grail. If not, no big deal.

Last edited:
You gotta have the Pixie before you can steal his dust.

Grab a BRW-neck guitar and play it. If YOU believe the hype, then it's real.

derbyshire-fairy2.jpg

So is a solid Brazilian Rosewood neck the holy grail of tone or is it hoax perpetrated on us by guitar builders to spend extra coin on a guitar? Is really worth the money in the long run?

Some of the best tone to ever come from guitars was from guitars made of woods that a lot of people laugh at these days. Pre 1985 EVH, Satch, SRV, etc. So, I don't buy into any boutique wood being the holy grail of anything. Considering the neck wood being an extremely minor component of the sound chain and then factoring in that neck woods have extremely slight variations in perceived sound between species, the fact a guitar has a BRW neck doesn't really amount to squat. Sure, it will probably feel like a million bucks but that is probably about it. Rosewood necks have never been about the sound....at least as far as I'm concerned.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;26370 said:
You gotta have the Pixie before you can steal his dust.

Grab a BRW-neck guitar and play it. If YOU believe the hype, then it's real.

Once again, you said in one sentence what I was trying to say.

I think it makes a big difference in the instruments I've played. All of the RW guitars I've owned have had a really strong low midrange tone to them, which I just love. If it helps any, my idea of the perfect lead guitar tone is a cross between a Cello and an Oboe, so that should give you an idea of the type of tones I shoot for. I think my ME1 with a BRW neck gets pretty close to those tones when I play it through my rig. YMMV, of course.

Back