Hollowbody static?

Mole351

Just got a new (to me) hollowbody - pretty sure I'm going to send it back but wanted to confirm - it's not normal to get a bunch of static when turning knobs whist on the piezo setting but plugged into the mag pickup jack, correct? Get a little static when on the mix and I think when on full mag but need to play a bit more to confirm (stuck not playing guitar and with the little ones tucking them in bed).

But bottom line - I shouldn't be getting static at all, correct?

Last edited:
ok - so the more i play it - there is not much static at all - really only a little when changing the pickup selector - and barely noticeable. is it possible there was static from the "trip" and as it has gotten broken in it will not happen again? wishful thinking i guess but odd how there was static at first and now it's more or less gone...

Hmmm. Can't help diagnose, but I can report that I don't get any static-y sounds when switching between piezo and mags using the mix output or dual outputs.

I'm not much help; have you tried the usual switch debugging of deoxit?

The switch in my DGT gave me issues one winter when we were using a lot of humidification due to a newborn. I had to get a little bit of 1200 grit sandpaper in to get rid of the oxidation. But it's worked well ever since. However this was much easier to access with a back-paneled guitar.

Someone more knowledgable will likely chime in shortly

That just sounds like dirty contacts. If you have some, put some contact cleaner on pots by taking off the back cover. If you don't have any CC, well, get some, but until then just operate the pots and switches a bunch to wear off the oxide or dirt or dust a bit for now.

Was this a new guitar, almost straight from the factory? Or was it "new old stock" or used? If the latter, then dirty post/contacts are very possible.

EDIT: also: check your battery. Might need replacing. Dying batteries do weird things...

A friend gave me an old 12 channel mixing board he never used, primarily because he now used a PC to do the little bit of mixing he needed, but also because it was "all scratchy" and useless to him. A fair amount of CC and the thing sounds great now (well, one channel is totally shot - I need to open it up to look at that!). I used it a a festival for which we ran sound a few weeks ago, performed like a champ!

That just sounds like dirty contacts. If you have some, put some contact cleaner on pots by taking off the back cover. If you don't have any CC, well, get some, but until then just operate the pots and switches a bunch to wear off the oxide or dirt or dust a bit for now.

Was this a new guitar, almost straight from the factory? Or was it "new old stock" or used? If the latter, then dirty post/contacts are very possible.

EDIT: also: check your battery. Might need replacing. Dying batteries do weird things...

A friend gave me an old 12 channel mixing board he never used, primarily because he now used a PC to do the little bit of mixing he needed, but also because it was "all scratchy" and useless to him. A fair amount of CC and the thing sounds great now (well, one channel is totally shot - I need to open it up to look at that!). I used it a a festival for which we ran sound a few weeks ago, performed like a champ!
Was used - working with the shop to get straight - I had no experience with scratchy pots. Not worried - but stoked about the new guitar!

Back