Hollowbody II vs P245 Semi Hollow

JR1971

Dear,
It is time for my first PRS and I am between
  • PRS P245 Semi Hollow (58/15 & Piezo)
and
  • PRS Hollowbody II Singlecut (57/08 & Piezo)
Most of the time a play clean and I prefer the soul-sound of the neck position (genre: R&B, George Benson stuff).

My local store has non of these guitars in stock.
Which of these beauties you will recommend and why?

Thank you for your suggestion!

Merry X-mas!
Roman

I cannot comment on the differences in pickups, I've not been exposed to either AFAIK. But according to the current PRS product pages, both come with 58/15s, so you might be looking at an older (last year?) HB II.

The primary differences in those models, from my PoV, is:

• Scale Length
  • Semi hollow vs full Hollowbody
IMHO, the scale length can be a complete non-issue if you are used to swapping between a strat and a LP, for example, but can be very important if all you have ever played is one or the other.

The semi-hollow vs full hollowbody is more relevant to how you play - how much gain (the full hollowbody will feedback more than the semi, but still not as bad as other companies' full hollowbody models), and do you like to occasionally muck about with no amp at all practicing etc. Since you play clean mostly, the full hollowbody should be just fine.

I am reviewing these two models for exactly these reasons for a far-off-in-the-future purchase (after the 277 semi and 305, probably), which is why I am so free to offer these thoughts. But what I think is relevant might be totally off your radar, and what is more important to you might be something like the location of the toggle switch (upper bout on P245, near the volume/tone controls on the SC HB II), or the fact that the P245 has binding on the fretboard and the SC HB II doesn't.

Good luck! Both look like awesome selections!

There's also a slight difference in feel and how they play. The P245 plays more like a solid body electric, where the HB will have a slightly stiffer acoustic-ish(sort of) type feel. I think a SCHB II might be the ticket or an Archtop if you can find one. FWIW, I never had feedback issues with high gain and my SCHB II and my band rehearsal volume is pretty loud.

I have both but I'm not a good enough player to tell you which would be more suited to your style of playing. I definitely agree that the P245SH plays closer to a solidbody with the benefits of a semi-hollow, whereas the HBII plays more like...well, a hollowbody. I'd lean towards the P245SH just because of the pickups, but that's just me, I'm smitten with them.

Had to edit, after seeing I thought op stated sc245. I have the hbII and a sc245. I feel the hbII would be the best pick in my options, from what I get from the sc245 with 58/15 is a pickup with clarity and more umph than the 57/08. Not sure how this translates in the p245 semi. the thing I like the most about the hbII with 57/08 is the smoothness it delivers. I have 57/08s in a sc too and it has more umph than in my hb2 and that is solely due to the differences in the two guitars. I would expect the pickups In a semi would be high in umph than my hb2 as well. So now to really not help u out in the answers you seek. I have a p22 with uncovered 57/08 and it is awesome to play. It has same clarity as the hb2 but due to body type and uncovered pickups it can get really dirty too.

Last edited:
I do not have or ever played a P245 but I do have a HB II with 57-08's and if you like to play clean on the neck pickup you will not be disappointed with the HB II. BTW - I have also used the guitar to play songs at gigs that require some OD and have never had any feedback issue. My guess you will be happy with either guitar. One other point - Normally the HB II comes with .11 gauge strings, not sure about the P245. At least in my opinion, you get a much nicer acoustic sound with the .11's vs the .10's.

Thank you for your opinions.
After reading your comments I will choose the PRS Hollobody II and send pics and my personal impression of my first PRS soon.
As far as I learn, PRS is addicting... :)
Thank you for your great help!
Roman

Back