Hollowbody ii tone issues

Gonzo

Hey all. New to forum. Have owned what I believe to be is a late 90’s custom 22 (will ask for help confirming in another thresd) that is so perfect for me that I havent been able to really enjoy other guitars that I play. Been wanting a strat style and got super excited about the silver sky. Put one on order a couple months ago at the same time I purchased a mesa lonestar and line 6 helix.

Suffice it to say ive been in tone heaven playing my custom 22. What an amazing rig!

Anyway, i got tired of waiting with no answers on the silver sky. Stopped into store and played a bunch of potential alternatives. Accidentally played one out of my price range, a hollowbody ii piezo artist. It was so amazing that I couldnt settle for anything less and i bit the bullet!

The point of this all is that when i finally got to play through my rig, i’m finding some harsh highs that are hard to tame without muddying my tone. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any advice.

Pics below. Not my first color choice but damn, she’s sexy.

oOrU7p7.jpg

M222ziz.jpg

58/15 pickups and the piezo isn’t the problem. Also these 58/15 seem to be much lower output than what I believe to be dragon 2 in my cu22. Is there a reason not to put dragons in a hb?

Forgive me for asking but can you roll the tone pot down a bit to tame those highs?

I don't see any reason why you can't put drag 2s in your HB. Not a choice I would have considered but it's your guitar and they might just sound killer in a HB.

Like always, try pickup height adjustments before swapping them out.

Forgive me for asking but can you roll the tone pot down a bit to tame those highs?

I don't see any reason why you can't put drag 2s in your HB. Not a choice I would have considered but it's your guitar and they might just sound killer in a HB.

Like always, try pickup height adjustments before swapping them out.

Yeah, I spent about an hour playing with everything and just had a hard time getting rid of a piercing high tone without making it sound muddy. It was fine on the tone king I tested it with and only manifested on the lonestar special. I'll keep playing with it, I really just wanted to join the forums and start a thread and this was the first subject that popped in my head. I'm still feeling euphoric over my recent gear acquisitions :)

I want a HB really bad and yours is beautiful.

Although my income doesn't change much from year to year my wife is knocking it out of the park wit her real estate this year. We also have a TON of expenses this year as well so no HB for me.

I want a HB really bad and yours is beautiful.

Although my income doesn't change much from year to year my wife is knocking it out of the park wit her real estate this year. We also have a TON of expenses this year as well so no HB for me.

You know, I've got a HB........

Pickup height! Definitely start with adjusting the pickup height.

A little bit goes a long way. I'd start by lowering them a quarter turn.

Really pretty guitar!

So I’ve had some time now to compare the hbii with my custom 22 and am disappointed. The tone of my custom 22 is literally perfect for me and I’m having a really hard time dialing in th hbii. I don’t know how to explain it. Fell in love with hbii at store but now that it’s home I’m struggling. Spent an hour trying to dial it in. The hbii just sounds kind of harsh.

So I’ve had some time now to compare the hbii with my custom 22 and am disappointed. The tone of my custom 22 is literally perfect for me and I’m having a really hard time dialing in th hbii. I don’t know how to explain it. Fell in love with hbii at store but now that it’s home I’m struggling. Spent an hour trying to dial it in. The hbii just sounds kind of harsh.
They are different guitars and you need to embrace that.
Are you trying to use the same amp settings across both guitars?
It took me ages to really bond with my HBII after having a cu24 as my first PRS - it kept getting lost in the mix. I still tend to blend pickups more than I do on other solid guitars.
Finding the right amp Sim and ir in your helix will be key. And the same preset may not work for your cu22, but they are different so that should be expected.

I’ve been tweaking the amp’s tone controls quite a bit to no avail. Presently not using amp models. Bought a pair of studio monitors to play with that stuff but haven’t yet. Using just effects into the mesa.

Beautiful guitar, congrats Gonzo! Have you lowered only the treble side of the pups, ie the bass side is higher than the treble side? I almost always have to lower the treble side of every pup.

What amp were you using in the store? Certain amps work better with certain guitars.

Couple of things

1) Try a fresh set of your favorite strings
2) Could you be hearing the acoustic tone off the guitar ? My HBII is loud accoustically it sounds way different recorded than what I hear when playing
3) Try turning the presence down a bit

Also don't forget the pole pieces they can really fine tune the tone I suggest raising the middle poles

Thats a killer looking guitar !!!
PS Dragon Its might sound really cool in a HB Love the Dragon II neck for sure

I can see why you had to have that guitar, it's absolutely stunning! Sitting here chewing on my fist as I drool over it... I think I'm getting wood for crackwood :)

I hope you get it to sound as good as it looks.

Last edited:
The dragon 2 pickups will definitely have more low end than the 58/15’s which will naturally make the hollowbody sound brighter.

The dragon 2 pickups will definitely have more low end than the 58/15’s which will naturally make the hollowbody sound brighter.

This! I remember the D2 pickups being darker and higher output.
Don't fall into the trap trying to make both guitars sound the same. Try setting your amp from scratch.

58/15 pickups and the piezo isn’t the problem. Also these 58/15 seem to be much lower output than what I believe to be dragon 2 in my cu22. Is there a reason not to put dragons in a hb?
I have a 2000 HBII, with Archtop Pick-ups. I've experienced similar tone issues - until I played it through a VOX AC15. which opened up my ears. I had always found it to be muddy.

newer HBIIs come with 57/08's which claim to have a a more even tonal feel.. but without A/Bing it in the same guitar... we'll just never know for sure.

Had an original (1999) with Archtop pickups. Some people love them, but I never did. Finally got tired of never playing it and replaced with Wolfetone Dr. Vintage. That really warmed it up. But my later version, with 57/08s is even better.....
But them I dig the color too......

Back