Hollowbody II Piezo Changes through the years?

mintakka

Hi everyone

I’ve been thinking about buying a Hollowbody II Piezo for a little while. Now I’m looking at one that’s at a local shop and it is a 2001 model. they’re asking $4500 for it. As that’s only about 15% less than cost of a new one, I’m unsure about this price, particularly as the models with the newer pickups that PRS developed in the late oughts and onward seem to be more sought after?

I don’t expect to want to get rid of it, but if I changed my mind in 18 months I’d like to avoid losing several hundred dollars. For what it’s worth, I played it and it’s in excellent condition with no play wear. It’s also a “10 figure top” for whatever that matters.

Any input is appreciated - basically are you guys doing to talk me off the cliff or push me in :)

I'm interested in the answer here as well. I'm looking at a Hollowbody I that has been upgraded from the Artist pickups to 57/08's. Other than the fact that the Hollowbody II has a maple back and the Hollowbody I has a mahogany back, are there any other key differences? Is the piezo system on the I the same as the II?

For what its worth, here's how things have changed since I posted this:

I ended up playing the SE HB2 and, while it's not nice and I didn't think sounded quite as good as the Core model, it's obviously a lot cheaper and better value proposition. So I decided to go with the SE. Aside from the cost difference between SE and Core, a big factor for me was the used prices (or at least asking) for the Core HB2 - I decided it doesn't make sense to spend 4 grand on a used HB2 when a brand new one is $5250 (and probably can get significant discount on new since dealer pay 60-70% of that).

Anyway, just my two-cents here - 4 grand (and only ~25% or less off the price of a new one) for a 20 year old guitar is just not for me. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money I'd rather just buy a new one and get the newer/better pickups, freedom to be more picky on options, a warranty, and security blanket of being an original owner. The current used HB2 prices kinda not justifiable IHMO.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the answer here as well. I'm looking at a Hollowbody I that has been upgraded from the Artist pickups to 57/08's. Other than the fact that the Hollowbody II has a maple back and the Hollowbody I has a mahogany back, are there any other key differences? Is the piezo system on the I the same as the II?

Those 57/08 pups must sound great in that guitar, they are sweet pups. I just got a new HBII and I'm happy with the new 58/15 LT pups and especially happy with the piezo system.

I have a 2018 Hollowody II with 58/15 LT's too with a 1 piece Top/Back

The front...
UzQSZTB.jpg

and the back...
hH2MVYV.jpg

Apart from the usual 'changes' you'd expect - like an update to the LRBaggs system and pick up choice, I think the instrument hasn't really changed too much.

The Hollowbody II is called 'two' because it has 'two' tops so has more depth to the 'hollow' than a HBi because the Mahogany is only used for the sides with quite a 'thick' Maple back. Its the same as the SE naming too - HB,HBii and HBii w Piezo depending on specs.

Pick-ups are 'preference' anyway. I think since 2008 at least, PRS Pick-ups have generally been much better received - that's 57/08's, 59/09's, 58/15's, 85/15's etc. Not to say the Pups before this weren't great and liked, but since then, PRS Pickups seem to be 'generally' better liked than those earlier Pups. I must admit, I'm a fan of the 58/15 LT's and do think these suit the HBii the 'best' in my opinion but I wouldn't be upset if I had a HBii with 57/08's in for example and expect that to sound 'amazing' too of course and some may prefer the 57/08's to 58/15 LT's...

Point is, the Pups are preference anyway but the Instruments (apart from the 'usual' changes applied across the range - like changing the 'finish' in 2011/12 to their 'V12' finish and now with CAB over Nitro, changing from Phase 2 to Phase 3 tuners etc) haven't really changed a LOT so can't really go wrong either...

I have a 2018 Hollowody II with 58/15 LT's too with a 1 piece Top/Back

The front...
UzQSZTB.jpg

and the back...
hH2MVYV.jpg

Apart from the usual 'changes' you'd expect - like an update to the LRBaggs system and pick up choice, I think the instrument hasn't really changed too much.

The Hollowbody II is called 'two' because it has 'two' tops so has more depth to the 'hollow' than a HBi because the Mahogany is only used for the sides with quite a 'thick' Maple back. Its the same as the SE naming too - HB,HBii and HBii w Piezo depending on specs.

Pick-ups are 'preference' anyway. I think since 2008 at least, PRS Pick-ups have generally been much better received - that's 57/08's, 59/09's, 58/15's, 85/15's etc. Not to say the Pups before this weren't great and liked, but since then, PRS Pickups seem to be 'generally' better liked than those earlier Pups. I must admit, I'm a fan of the 58/15 LT's and do think these suit the HBii the 'best' in my opinion but I wouldn't be upset if I had a HBii with 57/08's in for example and expect that to sound 'amazing' too of course and some may prefer the 57/08's to 58/15 LT's...

Point is, the Pups are preference anyway but the Instruments (apart from the 'usual' changes applied across the range - like changing the 'finish' in 2011/12 to their 'V12' finish and now with CAB over Nitro, changing from Phase 2 to Phase 3 tuners etc) haven't really changed a LOT so can't really go wrong either...

Nice “10 back”

I have a SCHB II Piezo and a HB II Piezo Artist. Both have 57/08 pickups in them from the factory. I love both of these guitars. I played the SCHB II in a country band and it performed extremely well. I loved having all of my regular electric guitar tones along with acoustic tones in one guitar. I ran the Piezo pickup through a Fishman Aura.

The HBs with the Piezo in them hold their value pretty well since they make so few of them compared to the other core guitars.

Back