Hollowbody History

drdoom8793

THAT guy at Chick-fil-A
Hey guys! I'm hoping you guys can educate me on some of the differences between the different versions of the Hollowbody model throughout the years. I'm starting to look for one and I'm seeing HBIs, HBIIs, McCartys, Archtops, and all kinds of stuff. What's the difference?

I believe the differences are the following (but my knowledge is incomplete):

All DC HBs were based on the original McCarty.

HBI has a Mahogany back. Originally no piezo.
HBII has a Maple top and Maple back. Most seem to have a piezo, not sure if that was the case originally
They later started doing SC HB versions. Can be either a HBI or HBII.

The way the bodies are hollowed out have changed. I don’t remember the details, but Tag had some detailed threads/posts about it and the rather significant tonal changes.

Archtop is much thicker body and typically came with a spruce top and a Mahogany back. I think? Could be a maple back? Also seen Archtops with Maple tops.

There was for a time the Paul Jackson version the JA 15. More of a classic Jumbo style SC Archtop with a spruce top, maple neck. Again, not sure if the back was Mahogany or Maple.

Limited run of thinline SC-J which was maple top and back, maple neck.

All I got! :) Hopefully not too many inaccuracies :rolleyes:

Well, that’s a far more accurate and efficient way to go! :)

It seemed easier as I don't know details about the Archtop or the McCarty (unless this is the new 594 Hollowbody)

I also didn't mention that PU's could be different depending on the age/era of the model - as is the case with the Solid body guitars too. I know the current HBii and new 594HB will now come with 58/15 LT's but as I never expected to be in a position to buy a HB PRS (in truth, until I separated from the ex-wife, I doubted I would ever own a Core PRS) I couldn't tell you what PU's the older models have.

It seemed easier as I don't know details about the Archtop or the McCarty (unless this is the new 594 Hollowbody)

I also didn't mention that PU's could be different depending on the age/era of the model - as is the case with the Solid body guitars too. I know the current HBii and new 594HB will now come with 58/15 LT's but as I never expected to be in a position to buy a HB PRS (in truth, until I separated from the ex-wife, I doubted I would ever own a Core PRS) I couldn't tell you what PU's the older models have.
I think the first pickups were Archtops. Then 57/08s. Then 58/15s. Now 58/15LTs.

EDIT: I think the JA-15 had 53/10s

Very nice! That's exactly what I was looking for. I knew this page existed but didn't even think to look. Thanks everyone!
The change in the carve of the inside of the top of the HB isn’t detailed there. Originally the top was carved out much like a violin except under the bridge. My 1999 is like that.

At some point, they left a thicker strip of the top uncarved from the bridge towards the neck. My 25th Anniversary is like this. Some people have strong feeling about this. I don’t.

Supposedly the older Hollowbody guitars had archtop pickups. My 2009 has 245 pickups which are supposed to be Mira pickups with covers on them.

The change in the carve of the inside of the top of the HB isn’t detailed there. Originally the top was carved out much like a violin except under the bridge. My 1999 is like that.

At some point, they left a thicker strip of the top uncarved from the bridge towards the neck. My 25th Anniversary is like this. Some people have strong feeling about this. I don’t.
Ah, so that’s what changed? I miss the PS Koa HBII I foolishly traded in (and of course ended up selling the guitar I traded it in for) - the perils of over trading part 5002....would have been killer with 58/15LTs (had 58/15 regs in it but I found those a bit harsh in it). Always thought a SC version of this would be killer - until I saw Tosca’s :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Interesting. I'd be playing in a higher gain scenario (think Foo Fighters) so a newer might be better to avoid feedback.

Interesting. I'd be playing in a higher gain scenario (think Foo Fighters) so a newer might be better to avoid feedback.
Hmm...if I get an empty house for a bit this weekend I might try to craft an experiment. I had no trouble getting feedback from my newer one, but it was also easy to stop - I just moved a couple feet out of the line of theMDT 4x10.

I only have a modern (as in 2018) Hollowbody II - a guitar that comes with the 58/15 LT's as Standard. Whether its because of the low output PU's, the Solid Maple top (not a Laminate like many other HB's), the shape (which is a standard PRS DC type - not a big body like a ES-335 for example so smaller hollow space) or the position and amount of gain I have used, but I don't get any major feedback issues. I must admit though, I haven't sat facing my 100w Marshall JVM410 on OD2 part 3 (The 410 has 4 channels with each having 4 parts - OD2 is the highest gain channel with each of the 3 parts increasing the gain stage) and dimed it - I have played it with a decent amount of crunch and rocked it.

As a 'rocker' myself - love Foo Fighters and GNR (Izzy and his numerous replacements have played Hollowbodies btw), I have had no major feedback. At NAMM, Brian Ewald was demoing the new 594 HB (Same shape hollowbody, same PU combo) sat next to the MT15 on the Red (high gain) channel with no problems - he seemed to think that the solid maple top was the main reason it wasn't feeding back.

The best answer is to try one yourself - especially if buying used. I would want to check over a used instrument regardless of whether its a hollowbody or not but it seems not everyone does - hence all those Reverb and Ebay purchases. You could take a 'high gain' pedal to try with it and see for yourself with the amount of gain you prefer to use. A lot of Rock isn't as 'high gain' as many people think and what I consider 'high' could be just 'medium' gain to you.

The PRS book has two pages worth of details on Hollowbody specs. I highly recommend that book.

The change in construction started with the 25th anniversary "CB" model. CB stood for center block, but it's not a front-to-back center block like on an ES guitar. Like veinbuster said, they thickened the top from the neck joint to the bridge post, slightly wider than the width of the pickups.

That's the biggest change aside from pickups.

The originals up to mid-2002 had non-locking tuners.

Piezo used to be optional, then became mandatory, then became optional again, then became mandatory again with the release of the 594 HBII.

I love my '08 Hollowbody Spruce! I can get feedback if I aim it close to the amp with high gain, otherwise, its' fine.

Yep, I've had her twin for a long time but changed the pickups out for Jim Wagner's Goodwoods. Made a nice difference from the original archtops. If I remember it right, the spruce tops on these were sourced from Germany and typically used in violin making. I also had an HB1 but it wasn't nearly as 'lively' as this one.

ytyzX5V.jpg

Hmm, interesting.

My HB was built in 2000, purchased new in 2001, has a McCarty TS cover, hang tag lists it as HBII, has Archtop 2 pups, and has a mahogany back. Seems like it straddles the specs on the PRS website list and what WA Paul mentioned.

Yep, I've had her twin for a long time but changed the pickups out for Jim Wagner's Goodwoods. Made a nice difference from the original archtops. If I remember it right, the spruce tops on these were sourced from Germany and typically used in violin making. I also had an HB1 but it wasn't nearly as 'lively' as this one.

ytyzX5V.jpg

I have the older sister.

x2ilJQ2.jpg

Jim and Sergio - nice!

Sergio, did you swap out the tuners for the white ones?

Mine has the black ebony tuners. The previous owner put on an adjustable bridge and a white bone nut. I added an ebony truss rod cover to match the tuners, and also put lampshade knobs on like yours.

Jim and Sergio - nice!

Sergio, did you swap out the tuners for the white ones?

Mine has the black ebony tuners. The previous owner put on an adjustable bridge and a white bone nut. I added an ebony truss rod cover to match the tuners, and also put lampshade knobs on like yours.

Yeah! I swapped the buttons and the rings. The dude I bought it from had black stuff and the wrong knobs on it, the trc is around here somewhere...

Back