Hollowbody controls mod: 2 x vol and tone

parek

Hi,

is there any reason why it would not work to add two more pots to my (non piezo) HB2? The goal is to get LP style controls, which is what i very much prefer to single vol and tone controls. I was googling and found the pot layout would be like this: http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/ptc_guitar_overhaul_hollowbody_ii_modifications

Before drilling anything, I will add mockup knobs on the guitar and test if I like the layout.

I know that the resale value of the guitar would go out of the window, but I am not sure if I care about that, since I have no intentions to sell the guitar if it had those LP style controls. At the moment, I would like to get 594 or something like that, but I don't want to invest more money into guitars and I don't also want to sell my HB2.

Comments?

I'll lend you my drill:cool:

Seriously...make it your own. If you are worried about resale value, sell it now and buy what you'd really like:)

If you had PTC do the job I can't see any reason for a value hit , some might even find it more valuable ( and usable )
If you ( or a Luther ) do the work if it is quality and looks stock I'm thinking you will have a killer AX

Go for it!

Here is another idea, a PS at Righteous Guitars:

PRS-0050++Thumbnail+Compressed.jpg

Every once in a while, I entertain the thought of doing the Jimmy Herring volume, volume, tone layout:

pict0031.jpg

I am not so sure that the resale value would be driven as low as you might think. Will maybe stay the same. For myself I would choose this model with the extras you are thinking about before an identical unmodded version. I like to bargain hard but I certainly would not use the 'upgrade' as leverage. So long as the work is fully functional, is done cleanly and the wiring does not rattle like a lizard in a tin I would be all over it. It would be a plus for me but I would not offer you more money for the modification :)

If you do decide to go ahead take some detailed before and after photographs of the work that help to show that it is the same guitar but with the modification. Potential might buyers might question the authenticity of the instrument if it has an extra knob or two if at some point you later decide to sell it.

I like the idea of changing my non-piezo Hollowbody II to a DGT/piezo-style layout with two volumes and a tone plus a mini-switch for coil-tapping. That way, it would look like a regular piezo-equipped Hollowbody but would have a lot more sounds available. Of course, I'd need to change the pickups to something that I can split as well but I'm not a fan of the Archtops anyway and I have a few pairs of PRS pickups that would do the job. I'm just not so keen on the idea of taking a drill to my guitar.

What about concentric push-pull stacked pots? Require no new holes in the top. Kinda fiddly but work for your purpose. I asked PTC about re-wiring my JA-15 with stacked pots. I think it came up to $350.

You could have a dedicated stacked tone-volume for each respective pickup or a tone-tone and volume-volume configuration.

What about concentric push-pull stacked pots? Require no new holes in the top. Kinda fiddly but work for your purpose. I asked PTC about re-wiring my JA-15 with stacked pots. I think it came up to $350.

You could have a dedicated stacked tone-volume for each respective pickup or a tone-tone and volume-volume configuration.
Wouldn't even have to push-pull if you don't want to split. Just concentric knobs like on my active Jazz bass - however finding vintage-y looking knobs for that might be a challenge. I've only seen knurled chrome/black.

I have a 25th Anni SCHBII that I have been considering doing the same thing to except I also want to move the p'up selector to the upper bout like my 594 and use the current p'up selector as a master coil split. The concentric pot idea is great, I hadn't even thought of that!

Back