Hollow, semi-hollow, solid body preferences

gemyneye

So many guitars, not enough time
I'm sorry if this has been a thread previously. But I've been thinking about my own preferences. I had a 594 HB II but played my 594SC WAY more, and I currently own a ZM SH, and a 76 ES-335. I've read a lot of posts about how HB's and SH's are so great, but I find myself gravitating toward solid bodies. And I don't have a preference over bolt on or glue, but I definitely prefer the solid body. Don't get me wrong, I still play the ZM and 335, but I just don't reach for them first. The ZM I do, because it's all I have at work to play. But, I just can't figure out why. But I love my McPherson acoustic and can play that thing all day. It's weird. Does anyone else have an inexplicable preference? Or am I just out there?

For me it just depends on what my ears are hearing , hollow , semi hollows have a softer rounder edge to notes and less thump to the low end.
Very pleasing when jamming alone or when you are looking to be big in a mix ( for me )
I like the lighter weight ( except the 335 which weighs a ton ) the HB1 is super light and loud acoustically.

For me, the HBII is my go to because of the weight! I like the feel of my 24 fretters better when it comes to the neck and the fretboard, but I am always playing my HBII because it is so much lighter. 5.6lbs vs 7.4 or 7.6lbs. If I play the heavier ones, they start to feel a bit uncomfortable after 60-90 minutes. The HBII I can play all day!

As for tone, the kind of stuff I am working on right now is more suited to the HBII tones as well, so there is that too. Once I shift gears to a more rock/funk vibe (when I find the appropriate mates to do so) I will definitely be reaching for my CU24's!! My core CU24 of course has 85/15's but my PS CU24 has 58/15's just like my HBII and is a fat back so it has the girth to handle those pups and sounds fabulous!

I tried a McPherson in August (Sable carbon fiber) and was pretty impressed but am leaning towards an Emerald for my next fiddle (carbon fiber acoustic so I don't have to worry about the wood all the time)! My Martin's sound GREAT (J-40 and D12-20), but their playability is not my favorite. I have a $20 acoustic that has playability every bit as good as those pricey Martin's.

To each his own but I am sure you are not alone! Play what you like and it will help you to like what you play!!

For me, the HBII is my go to because of the weight! I like the feel of my 24 fretters better when it comes to the neck and the fretboard, but I am always playing my HBII because it is so much lighter. 5.6lbs vs 7.4 or 7.6lbs. If I play the heavier ones, they start to feel a bit uncomfortable after 60-90 minutes. The HBII I can play all day!

As for tone, the kind of stuff I am working on right now is more suited to the HBII tones as well, so there is that too. Once I shift gears to a more rock/funk vibe (when I find the appropriate mates to do so) I will definitely be reaching for my CU24's!! My core CU24 of course has 85/15's but my PS CU24 has 58/15's just like my HBII and is a fat back so it has the girth to handle those pups and sounds fabulous!

I tried a McPherson in August (Sable carbon fiber) and was pretty impressed but am leaning towards an Emerald for my next fiddle (carbon fiber acoustic so I don't have to worry about the wood all the time)! My Martin's sound GREAT (J-40 and D12-20), but their playability is not my favorite. I have a $20 acoustic that has playability every bit as good as those pricey Martin's.

To each his own but I am sure you are not alone! Play what you like and it will help you to like what you play!!
I haven't tried the carbon fiber McPhersons yet. I'm intrigued by them, but my MG-3.5 is all I really need right now. You know it's kind of funny, I almost like the "heavier" weight to the guitar even though I play with a crazy light touch. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to tell the difference in the tones of the HB compared to the SB if everything else is equal. I may even be able figure out what it is about solid bodies I prefer lol

I'm a big fan of all of the PRS Hollowbody guitars and they definitely have their own thing going on. Like Moondog Willy above, I love the weight. Just so comfortable to play. My HB Spruce is a little less than 5 lbs so very easy on the back, shoulder, and neck. My Archtop is closer to 7 lbs but still easy on the body. The 594 HBs are right in the middle.

I recently picked up a Special Semi-Hollow and outside of the light weight, it sounds like a solid body guitar to me. A very good compromise if you ask me.

I didn't gravitate to semi and hollowbodies ( except acoustic of course) until my 50's . I started building chambered guitars and basses during that time and appreciated the fullness they added . I've been collecting them since . Solid bodies are great , but at this point they only get about 30% of my time. With the 594 HBII and Special Semi getting most of my time

I’m in my 50’s and still digging the solid. Maybe in my 60’s? But no rush…

Back