Hollow/Semi-Hollow and Thin Necks

Mole351

Is there a reason most all of the hollow/semi-hollow PRS guitars don’t have any pattern thin options (other than the CE run they just did)? I’m thinking about selling my new HB and would be all over any of the 22 or 24 fret semi-hollows if the weren’t most all Pattern necks. I LOVE the pattern thin necks. May not be the most popular but don’t see any reason why they don’t offer a variety or choice of necks on some of these? Not like it would be a huge incremental cost...

Yeah, I’m bitter about this new semi-hollow - lol. Is exactly the perfect guitar for me but can’t do the neck. Have been looking for a hsh hollow/semi-hollow for a long time...is my perfect guitar for what I play. Damn that thick neck!

Not even that I love the thin necks - honestly I need them. There are a number of frets (lower strings high up on the neck) I can’t reach with the Pattern necks due to very short fingers - pinky especially.

It’s funny how different a 1/16 inch difference in thickness can sometimes feel; that’s the only difference between Pattern and Pattern thin in depth. The widths are the same.

I mention this because it took me a few days of playing to get used to the 1 3/4 width on my acoustic, coming from a 1 11/16 width on my earlier ones (including my earlier PRS acoustic). Even though it was width, not depth, it felt different at first. The strings felt like they were a mile apart!

However, after a few days it felt natural.

I’ve had all the PRS electric neck shapes, and I’ve got no problem going back and forth between them (my favorites are the Pattern Vintage, Pattern, and Pattern Regular), but I realize others do. So my suggestion may not work for you, or you may have already tried it.

I like the tone of a thicker neck for some reason, not just the feel.

I had to get used to the PRS necks coming from Ibanez wizard necks. That was a stretch for sure. But I got there.

My experience has been that the fatter necks have better tone. So I wouldn't bother with a thin semi hollow neck. I don't love my Nash T57 neck, but boy does it sound great!

If you love the tone of the guitar PTC will reshape the neck for you.
The pattern thin is 1/32" thinner front to back

Yeah, it's a weird scenario. Guess it's just what people who buy that style of guitar are typically looking for. On the other hand, I've got an Epi Sheraton that has a thinner neck than even my old CE24. It's super easy to play, esp when compared to the chunkier 335 necks.

Yeah - it’s amazing how much difference such a small measurement makes. I didn’t believe it at first when looking at specs awhile back.

I like the PTC option - seems reasonable. Anyone have an idea on rough ballpark price for that? Just seems if already making other necks prior to assembly it would be more cost effective to do it then. And hell, I can’t be the only person who would jump on some of these if the neck were a different shape - would think it could increase sales with really no incremental cost of adding a different size neck. No matter - I know the guys know what they’re doing...just can’t wrap my head around it sometimes - I have been known to be a bit thick headed though.

Even with my dislike of the pattern vs pattern thin, I think my main issue might be how my guitar with the pattern neck sits (HB), not so much the neck itself. I don’t have the same issues with my LP with a fairly chunky neck..though don’t think it’s as wide. Guess I should just find a pattern neck on a normally weighted guitar to see if I have the same issue. I did get a leather strap for my HB so it doesn’t sit as flat but still fairly awkward.

The newer SE semi hollow Custom 22’s come with thin necks. I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for but.. don’t discount them just because of the price, mine is one of my better sounding guitars surprisingly enough.

The newer SE semi hollow Custom 22’s come with thin necks. I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for but.. don’t discount them just because of the price, mine is one of my better sounding guitars surprisingly enough.

Oh wow did not realize - will definitely look into - I don’t discriminate. Thanks for the info!

Back