Holcomb output pretty HOT

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
The Holcomb Alpha/Omega pups are pretty high output, right?

I was trying to run my SEMH direct into my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and was clipping when the input was set to 'Inst' with the Scarlett's gain turned all the way down. Had to switch it over to 'Line'.

Am I crazy?

Without knowing the specs, I would say that the pickups are pretty high output.

But, I also have a 2i2. And when I was researching before I bought it, I read many times that going direct in was NOT a good idea (for the reasons you mentioned). So, I bought a mic.

I would bet it's the 2i2 and not the pickups.

Without knowing the specs, I would say that the pickups are pretty high output.

But, I also have a 2i2. And when I was researching before I bought it, I read many times that going direct in was NOT a good idea (for the reasons you mentioned). So, I bought a mic.

I would bet it's the 2i2 and not the pickups.

Can't mic here - I have small kids sleeping when I get to play. I gotta go direct and use Amplitube.

No idea, but sounds about right. Nothing that can't be fixed with an attenuator. Did you try turning down the volume on the guitar as well? You could also try lowering the pickups. Or removing them from the guitar entirely and putting them in the general proximity of the guitar. AYE KEED, AYE KEED...but only about that last one.

Dusty Chalk is on the right track - do you have a boost pedal with an output level control? Most will turn down below unity gain, sometimes to silent, and it might make for an easy attenuator solution that still lets you modulate your guitar volume knob at will.

How close are your pickups to the strings? Regardless of their height, (assuming they aren't excessively close to the strings) the Alpha/Omega's actually aren't that high output. I would classify them as medium-hot, and this is what I've seen them classified as by a Seymour Duncan rep as well.
The Alpha is roughly 7.7K ceramic and Omega is roughly 13K ceramic.
Are you clipping on the neck pickup as well, or just the bridge? Do you have other guitars that are exhibiting the same issue? What pickups are in that/those guitars?

Lowered the bridge pup a fair amount, so the Scarlett's indicator doesn't go, we'll, scarlet.

The Omega is still noticeably hotter than the JB in my Singlecut.

If I'm still clipping, for attenuation I can bust out the 25 year old Boss GE-7 and keep the graphic flat but cut the level. That should work, right?

It's not an issue with the guitar as I've used FR interfaces with guitars loaded with much hotter pickups. You can try lowering the pickups, but I suspect this is an interface thing.

Back