Hog or Coco?

gear_freak

Hey PRS Acoustic owners. When you were deciding on which wood (mahogany or cocobolo), what made you choose one over the other? Thanks.

The coco sounds absolutely magnificent, and if you go that way, you get an adirondack top with it. The combination is truly sublime.

I have nothing against the 'hog. It's great, too. But the coco is capable of wonderful tone. Just my 2 cents.

I bought my Tonare June of last year, Coco and Euro spruce. i was so impressed that I picked up a Mahogany and Euro Spruce Tonare the next month. Typical difference between rosewood and mahogany tones and they cover the tonal palette extremely well for my tastes.
Being brain damaged, I picked up another Tonare in Cocobolo and Adirondack a couple of months ago, but it has the electronics and the Celtic inlyas so is TOTALLY different!

If its dripping with BBQ sauce I prefer the HOG, but if you melt some of those little baby marshmallows in it I go for the COCO!!! ( Ha,Ha ) But seriously, musical tastes are as subjective as tastes in food. Some people love brussel sprouts, while others don't. Although both sound nice, the cocobolo backed gtrs seemed to have a less ridged tone that sort of wraps around the ears in a big warm embrace, while the mahogany seemed to come boldly up to your face and kiss you in a very direct kind of way. The cocobolo is generally prettier, however some of that figured mahogany is just stunning. For what its worth, personally, I like the coco.....( with tiny marshmallows!!! )

Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it. I am leaning towards Coco, but will need to try both configurations to see what suites my taste in each model.

Quake17, I would not say brain damaged. Just need to cover all your bases!!! :-D

One thing I forgot to mention is that the cocobolo has a slightly brighter sound (at least I think so) than IRW. It's rich sounding, yet very detailed. I think it's a great choice with the type of construction the guitars have, as they tend to emphasize every overtones in a note in a beautiful way.

I have an all mahogany Tonare. I'll bring it with me, if anyone staying at the Hilton Gardens wants to give it a try...

Jamie

I have an all mahogany Tonare. I'll bring it with me, if anyone staying at the Hilton Gardens wants to give it a try...

Jamie
That guitar was INCREDIBLE. I should've played it longer, I didn't want to HOG it though:D
Nice to meet you Jaime.

Back