History of the PRS McCarty?

In reply to the question regarding the McCarty Smokeburst, here's my 2009 McCarty with 57/08 pickups.......

The McCarty 58 tonally won't be a ton different tone-wise, besides being a "blinged up" McCarty - it also has locking tuners instead of the old Kluson style. Now I remember people wanting locking tuners on the old McCartys, and the answer being- PRS locking tuners couldn't be put on because the headstock thickness was different. So now the last model McCarty has had locking tuners...has a different headstock thickness...does it have an affect on tone? Probably nothing you could pinpoint. Probably not more different than the differences you hear between 2 exactly identical models.

57/08's emerged in 2008 - hence the name. They 1st came on the hand signed/numbered 1957/2008 series of SC245 and McCartys and then on the ME II, I think.

I'm sure PRS will do some type of run for the anniversary. I'd guess we would see 57/08 in whatever they put out.

Great...now this thread has me missing that 1957/2008 McCarty I had:bawling:
8501196408_ca1a8b3bc6_b.jpg

What color is that?

birds question

So, now, why do some have hollow birds and some have solid paua/mop whatever they are inlays? My 2012 MC58 has the solid my 2010 CU24 has the hollow. Is that just true for most PRSi from those years, or is it more complicated then that?

My MC58:

IMG_1162.JPG

So, now, why do some have hollow birds and some have solid paua/mop whatever they are inlays? My 2012 MC58 has the solid my 2010 CU24 has the hollow. Is that just true for most PRSi from those years, or is it more complicated then that?

Those look like "ME", or "Artist" birds -- the same hollow birds as on your Cu24 but with filled-in centers. I believe they've been called by a lot of names, so it's a little confusing. My interpretation is that the MC58 got Artist-like updates (filled birds), while the Customs had the standard new hollow birds.

FWIW, and may chuckles over "filled birds" commence. ;)

Yeah, it's more complicated than that. :D

In 2008, PRS replaced the "old" solid MOP/Abalone birds with what they called "J Birds" which were basically just an outline of the bird shape, there was wood in the middle of the inlay. I personally thought they were beautiful and much more artistic and defined than the old birds, especially when they were rendered in Paua like so:

IMG_5253-800.JPG

IMG_5252-800.JPG

But the interwebz reaction was overwhelmingly hate, people called them "cheap," "ugly," "chintzy" and worse, evidently because there was less shell-like material there and somehow that was bad. Right at that same time, the upper-end inlays as on the Modern Eagle II were filled with something sparkly rather than wood and that was "less cheap" and better. On a factory tour at the Experience that year I saw the precision on the fingerboard and inlay cuts that was required to pull the J-Birds off, and it was awe-inspiring.

Anyway, PRS responded by filling in the middle of the birds with a "golden" material that was not abalone or MOP. That too was evidently bad and spawned the "dirt bird" epithet that became a PRS Forum meme. More hatred.

Recently, it seems that PRS has managed to make the interior color on the birds more agreeable or a "better" one more available, since the commotion over the birds seems to have died down somewhat.

I was into the McCarty when I read the first literature from PRS explaining about the "old colors and tone woods" used, the thicker tone, and the simple layout (no trem, old style tuners). I guess the world was simpler back in the early 90's! My '94's serial number is 4 19,xxx!
IMG_3263_zpsa498bde8.jpg

Do you know if 2005/2006 McCarty 20th guitar TR cover comes with McCarty on it? I recently bought one on eBay. I checked on line and most have 20th on TR cover.

There was also a run of "Dallas Guitar Show" McCartys that came out in 2010. I owned one of those for a while, and I actually managed to play 10 out of the 50 in the main production run at one time or another. (there was another smaller run that preceded that one) Those had 57/08 pickups that were specifically tweaked for the guitars in that run. The guitars themselves were very much in the spirit of the original McCarty guitars. Well worth seeking out one of those on the used market if you're looking for a straight-up McCarty that sounds really good.

Kevin (BostonGuitar), John Mann, Pete (MApete), and I had a tone fest one day back then at Pete's house, back when he actually lived in MA (and I lived in NH). We had three of those in the house. All three were great, although each had a very distinct personality.

Two points to clarify from an earlier comment. There are McCartys that were made in 93, despite the website claim of '94. Also, there are McCartys that predate the 100 that were signed by Ted.

Hi everyone. I am looking at a 98 McCarthy which is up for sale. The owner states having changed the pickups for PRS Santana PUs and that the guitar is without a split coil push/pull which he states was how PRS wired them. I always thought that from 95 on they were all with a split coil push/pull. Can anyone enlighten me on this predicament?

My McCarty 58 is about to go up on the auction block after being a case queen for a long time. It is an absolutely beautiful and light guitar with which I cannot bond because of the pattern neck is not my favorite PRS neck carve. I will not part with it for less than I paid for the guitar, which is far less than current production models sell for.

dX9QFU4.jpg

dX9QFU4

dX9QFU4

dVasU93[img]
dVasU93.jpg

Hi everyone. I am looking at a 98 McCarthy which is up for sale. The owner states having changed the pickups for PRS Santana PUs and that the guitar is without a split coil push/pull which he states was how PRS wired them. I always thought that from 95 on they were all with a split coil push/pull. Can anyone enlighten me on this predicament?
I am absolutely not an electronics expert, but, as far as I can find out, the PRS Santanas do not offer onboard coil-splitting (via push-pull pots, etc) and are therefore likely to be 2-conductor wiring (not the 4-conductor wiring that's required). That being the case here, 'adding' coil-splitting via a McCarty's stock switch would simply not be possible when using the Santana PUs. (Santana experts out there: please feel free to correct this info as necessary. Cheers!)

Hope this helps.

Back