History of PRS Guitars

I should go back into the vault and dig up another one

tenor.gif

I should go back into the vault and dig up another one
You should rename the thread "PRS from the vault of the month" or if you're on fire "vault relic Wednesday". I could have use an other day but you're busy the end of the week if I well remember :D

Last edited:
Yes please!!

What's the oldest PS back there?

Paul and Marc (and Andrew), picked up the mantle and started documenting the guitars in the archive room. But time being what it is, they don't get a chance to do it consistently. Here is the video they produced highlighting the first guitars Paul built.

https://binged.it/2HHBuAm

What was the scale length on all of these? Didn’t it start with 24.5 on Santana type early models and then by the CU24 it was 25....

So what were these?

Also would it be possible to get something PS like the SA but not 27 frets just 22/24, I guess a modified “Santana.”

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
This has been a great learning tale to follow. I knew there was lots of history, including builds for Carlos, but this is astounding. Lots of work went into this, so thanks big time!

Great thread please give us more. I am so interested in the early days of PRS as a Maryland boy who spent a lot of time at Chuck Levin's in the 80s. Will never forget the first yellow Custom I saw and played there in the mid-80s. Still in love with the basic overall genius put forth in the classic PRS body shape, top carve, bottom cutaway bevel woods, birds, tuners, trem, counter sunk controls and how truly different they were from the pointy neck shyte which then dominated the scene.

Always wanted to know if Paul was at all influenced by Hamers early days as perhaps the original boutique builder to pay homage to vintage classics but offer improvements.

Back