High strung tuning

Clashcityrocker

Curve Denier
Anybody do this with an extra acoustic? I'm thinking of trying this with my old se Angelus. It's called Nashville tuning too.

I have an old Ibanez acoustic that I keep strung up in Nashville tuning. I love it for recording. On the rare occasions that I go camping, I switch it back to regular strings for a campsite guitar.

So the top 2 strings are the same and the bottom 4 are up an octave? Skinnier strings of course.

Exactly. You can buy some sets ready to go at the usual online music retailer suspects. I also sometimes swap the low E for another high E gauge/tuning. This is the stringing/tuning Gilmour used to record "Hey You' and it makes playing that song an absolute piece of cake and it sounds perfect.

Just put high strung strings on my Angelus SE. My thought: It kind of makes your guitar sound like a harpsichord. There is hardly any bottom end so you could use a cheap acoustic with this tuning. I'm going to use this in recording with a standard string acoustic so it's going to give it a 12 string sound. I'm going to keep these strings on my Angelus because mostly I'm playing a Gibson j-35 now.

You can try a bigger guitar but that Taylor mini may make a good high strung guitar. Someone used a Martin backpacker and it sounded good. D'Addario is what brand I used. Got them from Strings by mail.

It’s a little-known fact that Tom Petty didn’t play a 12 String on some of the famous early stuff. Just as you’re doing, they used a six string and a Nashville tuned 6 string playing the same part.

You probably know this. In fact, you undoubtedly know this, which may be why you decided to try it. But I just learned this recently. ;)

I didn't know that. I just figured they had a 12 string Rickenbacker but probably everyone wouldn't have one back in those days. It's a cool tuning. It really cleanses your pallet when you play it.

I have an old Ibanez acoustic that I keep strung up in Nashville tuning. I love it for recording. On the rare occasions that I go camping, I switch it back to regular strings for a campsite guitar.
That's like my 2012 SE Angelus. It's such a strong guitar I don't have to worry about it. Nice sound and easy to play. I still have the Nashville tuning on it. It sounds good with the high frequencies.

Back