High-end CE?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by The Steady, Jul 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Xtcclassic

Xtcclassic New Member

The amount of flame was far less, but the QUALITY of the maple (and everything else) was the same. And birds were available for a few years, and they were the much nicer (IMHO) mother of pearl rather than the gaudy (again IMHO) abalone birds.

SinSir and Fullmoon 1971 like this.
  2. SinSir

SinSir Mad Scientist

Yes the wood was the same and older CEs have some of my favorite PRS tops. Not 10 top but many have character in spades. I've read 10 top was an option, but I can't say I've ever seen one. Birds weren't originally available but became optional in the early 90s. 93 or so. Pretty rare to find. I missed out on one early last year that I still regret.

Here's a good resource for more specs and changes over the years. There's a couple other pages for the CE on there too.

https://www.axebition.com/electric-guitar/prs-ce-24-bolt-maple-top

#42 SinSir, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    bodia and Fullmoon 1971 like this.
  3. The Steady

The Steady New Member

My newly acquired S2 Standard 24 Satin in Vintage Cherry is my favorite SG, er, I mean, dual hum rock guitar.

SinSir, Fullmoon 1971 and dogrocketp like this.
  4. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob New Member for almost a year...

How was I giving the guy a hard time, exactly?

Somebody said something questionable on an internet forum and TWO people questioned it. So, am I not allowed to ask questions in case you get upset on somebody else’s behalf? Seriously dude, I think this says more about you than either me or that other guy tbh! Weird.

5. Uncle Bob

Yeah I should have excluded the Vela from my generalisation, simply because it has its own USP.

I have three PRS guitars (including a very expensive one) and of all of them the SE C24 is the only one that didn’t need a full fret polish out of the box. For the money the quality is amazing. Of course, it falls a little short practically everywhere else compared to the core guitars, but there’s no way I’d choose an S2 C24 over an SE C24 as there’s nothing better about it and you pay more than double the price. It’s crazy.

That’s not to say there isn’t a market for them, as clearly there is. Look at the guy above who doesn’t trust the SE to be a guitar and flatly refuses to say why, oddly? But anyway, that’s your S2 market right there. Doesn’t want an import but is still on a budget, which is absolutely fair.

Fullmoon 1971 likes this.
  6. Ovibos

Ovibos Naughty Wood Librarian

My Indonesian SE Zach Myers has quickly become one of my favorites. Threw on some locking tuners and a custom TRC, done. Thought about changing the pickups, but I like its sound so why mess?

Fullmoon 1971, bodia and Uncle Bob like this.
  7. Uncle Bob

Keeping it on topic (kind of), the ZM is another example of where a ‘lesser’ instrument wins over some of the more expensive competition, like the CE semi hollow. In my opinion anyway.

Ovibos likes this.