High-end CE?

I too thought I wanted a CE, until I played one. It was one of the new models. It was very comfortable, but everything else about it was underwhelming, especially for a guitar costing £2400.

It was the classic CE, but I had the opposite experience. My eyes wanted a custom or McCarty or even a standard, and I kept trying those and they felt a bit unexciting. I picked up a CE24 after avoiding the lesser model and I was blown away! That was probably in 2007, so the older CE. Then I found I could get a used one for about 1/3rd of a new custom! Now, I have really enjoyed the tremonti, and I was also blown away by a hollowbody II and a semi hollow special!

It was the classic CE, but I had the opposite experience. My eyes wanted a custom or McCarty or even a standard, and I kept trying those and they felt a bit unexciting. I picked up a CE24 after avoiding the lesser model and I was blown away! That was probably in 2007, so the older CE. Then I found I could get a used one for about 1/3rd of a new custom! Now, I have really enjoyed the tremonti, and I was also blown away by a hollowbody II and a semi hollow special!
Interesting, had a similar experience. After getting my humble, already vintage, CE24, I got my hands on a new custom (22?) in a local store in the early 2010s and it felt quite dark, dull and uninspiring compared to my CE. That was quite a disappointment on one hand and exciting on the other hand. Disappointing because I had great expectations, a real custom with birds and all, but exciting because I knew I had a great guitar already. Bottom line: a good CE is a truly great axe!

However, since I obtained my McCarty korina soapbar, it has been neglected somewhat :eek:

I too thought I wanted a CE, until I played one. It was one of the new models. It was very comfortable, but everything else about it was underwhelming, especially for a guitar costing £2400.

So, play one and see for yourself, but my advice would be to NOT just get one mail order and hope for the best, because for that kind of money you can get some rather excellent guitars (not least the Silver Sky - which IMO played and sounded miles better and much more interesting than the new CE. Subjective, of course). Also play a few SE models, because pound for pound they are a better deal, at around a quarter of the cost for a very similar playing experience.
I've played one, I dug it.

I also tech my own guitars and feel the SEs, while good value for the player, are not good value for me when it comes time for servicing and repairs.

Interesting, had a similar experience. After getting my humble, already vintage, CE24, I got my hands on a new custom (22?) in a local store in the early 2010s and it felt quite dark, dull and uninspiring compared to my CE. That was quite a disappointment on one hand and exciting on the other hand. Disappointing because I had great expectations, a real custom with birds and all, but exciting because I knew I had a great guitar already. Bottom line: a good CE is a truly great axe!

However, since I obtained my McCarty korina soapbar, it has been neglected somewhat :eek:
But, birds made of ‘mother of toilet seat’...

I've played one, I dug it.

I also tech my own guitars and feel the SEs, while good value for the player, are not good value for me when it comes time for servicing and repairs.
So in other words, not American enough. I get it.

So in other words, not American enough. I get it.

Ok, I’ll bite.

Why?

It's not about being made in one place or another, if you knew me that would be a laughable sentiment for me.

I trust an S2 to take repairs and maintenance for longer than an SE. This is based on years tech'ing guitars and not prideful xenophobia. The key to what you quoted was 'for me' as in my personal guitars that I plan to keep for the rest of my life.

I don’t understand the desire to interrogate someone about their guitar preferences. To each their own. If someone wants an American-made guitar, why does that require explanation?
Why should I explain to you why I questioned it?

Was the irony in your post intentional?

It's not about being made in one place or another, if you knew me that would be a laughable sentiment for me.

I trust an S2 to take repairs and maintenance for longer than an SE. This is based on years tech'ing guitars and not prideful xenophobia. The key to what you quoted was 'for me' as in my personal guitars that I plan to keep for the rest of my life.
I’m not looking for an argument, but I’m still none the wiser and I’m still curious... I’ve been setting up guitars for 30 years and, pound for pound, I rate the Korean guitars higher than the S2. I realise it’s probably not supposed to be that way, of course. So, genuinely interested to hear more about your opinion.

I’m not looking for an argument, but I’m still none the wiser and I’m still curious... I’ve been setting up guitars for 30 years and, pound for pound, I rate the Korean guitars higher than the S2. I realise it’s probably not supposed to be that way, of course. So, genuinely interested to hear more about your opinion.
I hate to disappoint you further but you will have to keep making assumptions as this will be the last discourse between you and I on this forum.

Namaste

Why should I explain to you why I questioned it?

Was the irony in your post intentional?

Some questions don’t have a good answer. It was one of them. There’s no good reason to give a person a hard time about their guitar preference. There’s also no need to infer anything about them from their preference. It says more about you than it does about them.

It’s easy to play nice.

Pound for pound the SE is a better value. Better guitar than a S2? Probably not. Believe me I've been on the other side of this discussion more times than I can count. I finally figured out it was the S2 models I was looking at that always ended up with me getting another guitar, PRS or another brand.

First one that comes to mind is the custom 24. The S2 are nice guitars but overpriced. I could probably get with it if either the pickups or trem were core. I'm a tweaker and from experience the SE makes a heck of a platform to mod. I'd have less into a fully decked SE than a S2, and I don't see the point in upgrading a S2 when for about the same money I could have a used core. All three are great guitars, but in my mind value is another discussion altogether.

Fast forward after a couple few years of playing more S2s than I can count in shops across the country I finally picked up a Vela. I love that dang guitar. That was ticket for me. Find a S2 that isnt offered by core or SE. Instant happiness! And to think I almost gave up..

Its about finding the guitar that works for you. There's plenty for everyone and what is your favorite may be my least. It's all good. Make some music and enjoy!

I should add when I was writing that I didn't stop to think about the satin S2. Now that's probably the pound for pound winner if one likes satin.

Back