High-end CE?

The Steady

For various sonic and wood choice reasons the CE 24 is the model I most aspire to own beyond my S2s. I do get that part of the cost difference between the CE and a Core model are things like the bridge, tuning machines, and the non-recessed backplates. I actually like the thinner maple cap, too, but of course my favorite guitars of this style as all mahogany with no cap at all.

However if got me thinking, as I am not familiar with all the models PRS has ever put out, did they ever do a CE that was more similar in spec and build to a Core model or have they always tried to maintain the lower market position with the different neck as well?

Thank you all.

For various sonic and wood choice reasons the CE 24 is the model I most aspire to own beyond my S2s. I do get that part of the cost difference between the CE and a Core model are things like the bridge, tuning machines, and the non-recessed backplates. I actually like the thinner maple cap, too, but of course my favorite guitars of this style as all mahogany with no cap at all.

However if got me thinking, as I am not familiar with all the models PRS has ever put out, did they ever do a CE that was more similar in spec and build to a Core model or have they always tried to maintain the lower market position with the different neck as well?

Thank you all.

I think the CEs were almost exactly like the CU24s except for the bolt on neck for years. It wasn't until the current model was released that the changes happened. It was a lower cost guitar but not really due to the hardware. I still think the older CEs are a great value on the used market.

I think the CEs were almost exactly like the CU24s except for the bolt on neck for years. It wasn't until the current model was released that the changes happened. It was a lower cost guitar but not really due to the hardware. I still think the older CEs are a great value on the used market.
As far as I know: correct, however the quality of the maple caps in the older CEs was (way) below the CU line and there were no birds or moons, but abalone dots. Hardware, form factor etc were the same.

Look out for an older CE. They were for all intents and purposes the same as the old Standard and Custom, but in the case of the latter they didn't have anywhere near as nice a top as the Customs. Aside from a bolt on maple neck and having dot inlays as opposed to birds or moons, they were identical. At various points in time, they were alder bodies with no maple cap, alder with a maple cap, mahogany with a maple top, and all mahogany. If you look long enough, you can occasionally find the odd unicorn CE with birds.

The original CE started as something more Super Strat-esque. Alder body in the usual PRS shape, 24-fret maple neck with maple fretboard.

After a few years, they basically turned into bolt-on Customs: maple neck with rosewood board, mahogany body, maple top. They really weren't much cheaper to manufacture, but people have a mental price block when it comes to bolt-on guitars, so their lower sales price made them a great value. There are also CE standards with 1-piece mahogany body instead of the maple cap.

Options were minimal to keep price down. You didn't get 10 tops, with the exception of a short period they had an optional 3-piece 10-top. Early on, you had choice of neck shape, but then they defaulted to CE-24 = W/T and CE-22 = W/F. Bird inlays were an option for a little bit in there (pre-CE 22 I believe), but then they defaulted to dots only.

All the hardware, pickups, electronics, etc. were the same as used on every other guitar at the time. In other words, really good.

The old CE's are super guitars and I think of them as a wholly different model from the current CE-24. Sounds like you would dig the specs.

I didn't know about the CE Standards, that might be one I look for.

Something that I enjoyed about the new CE 24 I played was the less dramatic carve of the too maple, it fits my playing better, but in a PRS vid I just watched regarding the CE reintroduction it states this thinner carve is new. I take from the that the older CEs had a very similar carve to the Cores?

Something that I enjoyed about the new CE 24 I played was the less dramatic carve of the too maple, it fits my playing better, but in a PRS vid I just watched regarding the CE reintroduction it states this thinner carve is new. I take from the that the older CEs had a very similar carve to the Cores?

Yep, the exact same carve as the set-neck guitars. I like the shallower carve on the new CE, too. I think it feels better.

To me, the bridge is the only compromise on the new CE’s that is actually a detriment to the quality of the instrument:

The tuners aren’t phase III but they function just fine;

Not recessing the covers makes no difference;

The shallower carve may not look as ornate but is actually more comfortable;

As for the neck, I guess it’s fairly uncontroversial to say that using three pieces doesn’t really make any meaningful difference, and I personally don’t see how a bolt-on construction is in any way inferior to a set neck.

My point is that they’ve managed to cut costs without cutting corners on quality because, aside from the bridge (and maple neck of course), all the significant differences are cosmetic and largely superificial.

So if you like the new CE’s, my advice to you would be to get one and upgrade the bridge. Even with that added expense, it’s still considerably cheaper than a core CU24, but there really wouldn’t be much left to separate the two afterwards.

I'm sure there are many here who will disagree with what I've said but for me the CE's are a steal.

I’m a huge fan of standards as a whole. This was my mahogany Ce that was absolutely killer!

pok5yGw.jpg

Like otheres have said the older CE's are basically core models with bolt on maple necks and fewer upgardes and were priced as such.

2007 catalogue page
51328188182_03341984f5_h.jpg

I personally dont think that the newer CE's are a patch on the older ones - better woods & carve, american pickups & hardware.

If anyone wants my CE24 Mahogany then they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
50461655337_ddf520ed06_o.jpg

There were some rare instances of CEs having birds. There’s one on reverb right now. Typically they weren’t 10tops, but aside from that they felt just like Cores. Still miss my old Mahogany CE24.

Birds, a flamed Koa top and flame maple neck. This is a core model, but apparently a one-off.

Last edited:
To me, the bridge is the only compromise on the new CE’s that is actually a detriment to the quality of the instrument:

The tuners aren’t phase III but they function just fine;

Not recessing the covers makes no difference;

The shallower carve may not look as ornate but is actually more comfortable;

As for the neck, I guess it’s fairly uncontroversial to say that using three pieces doesn’t really make any meaningful difference, and I personally don’t see how a bolt-on construction is in any way inferior to a set neck.

My point is that they’ve managed to cut costs without cutting corners on quality because, aside from the bridge (and maple neck of course), all the significant differences are cosmetic and largely superificial.

So if you like the new CE’s, my advice to you would be to get one and upgrade the bridge. Even with that added expense, it’s still considerably cheaper than a core CU24, but there really wouldn’t be much left to separate the two afterwards.

I'm sure there are many here who will disagree with what I've said but for me the CE's are a steal.

When I got my Reclaimed CE24, put a MannMade 2000NOS on it and blacked out the plastics. Done.

rUGtnW4.jpg

I too thought I wanted a CE, until I played one. It was one of the new models. It was very comfortable, but everything else about it was underwhelming, especially for a guitar costing £2400.

So, play one and see for yourself, but my advice would be to NOT just get one mail order and hope for the best, because for that kind of money you can get some rather excellent guitars (not least the Silver Sky - which IMO played and sounded miles better and much more interesting than the new CE. Subjective, of course). Also play a few SE models, because pound for pound they are a better deal, at around a quarter of the cost for a very similar playing experience.

Back