High E string keeps breaking on PRS SE SILVER SKY

Stevie B

Hey guys,

I’m a young man that plays guitar around 2-3 hours a day on my PRS se silver sky and this went well for 3/4 months since I bought it. But around a month ago my high e string kept breaking at the 8th fret and I already brought it back to the guitar store 5 times. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? My first guitar doesn’t seem to have this problem and that’s a Harley Benton that’s 10 times cheaper than a PRS se silver sky. Should I just buy a fender?

(Excuse me for my English, it’s not my first language and I’m dyslexic)

First thing I'd do is check that fret for a burr or sharp edge or something. I'd assume your shop did that.

But I'd bet it's the strings. Have you tried a different brand? Or even a different gauge? Even if you only change out the high from a 9 to 10, or 10 to 9. My guess is you just hit on a bad batch of strings (especially if you're using the same brand each time). It happens now and again - I had it happen with Elixirs a few years ago - broke three or four in the same spot. I got replacements from Elixir and it's never happened since.

8th fret is an odd spot for a string to break hmmm , I would try a bit of 000 steal wool or 3000 grit clear coat sand paper on the frets around that area. I also agree possible bad batch of strings

Back