High e string issues.

GET TO DA CHOPPA

So im having issues with the e string on my new PRS. Keeps slipping off and getting wedged on the side of a 2nd and 3rd fretbar. Doesn't happen on my other guitars. Is it because of the 9s that are on there right now (usually play 10s), or do I need work done to the fretbars?

The string itself seems closer to the edge of neck than im used to, and also the lighter gauge combined just make that high e string a fucking nightmare even when its not getting stuck. It's become a constant battle, and not enjoyable. I just feel like I am fighting with the guitar while trying to play it! I pick up my Gretsch, and it's the opposite, it's like it plays itself lol. It might weigh about as much as my car, but it plays great!

It's really sucking the enjoyment out of playing. Seems to be happening more often. Didn't bother me as much at first.

I will take in for setup, when i get my other guitar back.

Last edited:
How is the low E string ?

My Gibson had this problem (as well as many others) and as a temporary fix I moved the nut slightly towards the low E string. If it really bothers you then a new nut would fix it, maybe worth getting a core nut.

How is the low E string ?

My Gibson had this problem (as well as many others) and as a temporary fix I moved the nut slightly towards the low E string. If it really bothers you then a new nut would fix it, maybe worth getting a core nut.

The low e string is quite far from the edge and the high e string is right on the edge.

And yeah, It really bothers me, I mean certain licks and songs, are pretty much unplayable for me.

Last edited:
Probably the nut wasn’t cut or installed perfectly. PRS will fix it, the new guitar is under warranty, unless you bought it used.

They will take care of you.

Not sure how the warranty service works, but it looks like you have to pay for your own shipping. I ordered online so the "dealer" I'd also have to ship to. Probably be cheaper to just replace the nut. I might just sell it and let someone else fix it. I do like it, but not enough to go through all this trouble. Like it's not blowing me away to the point where i am willing to put up with the inconvenience and the extra cost.

EDIT: I do think that with the action lowered, and a new nut, it would probably be very nice playing guitar.

Last edited:
Not sure how the warranty service works, but it looks like you have to pay for your own shipping. I ordered online so the "dealer" I'd also have to ship to. Probably be cheaper to just replace the nut. I might just sell it and let someone else fix it. I do like it, but not enough to go through all this trouble. Like it's not blowing me away to the point where i am willing to put up with the inconvenience and the extra cost.

EDIT: I do think that with the action lowered, and a new nut, it would probably be very nice playing guitar.

If your dealer won't email you a shipping label to ship it back to them, they aren't a very good dealer. At all!

Probably the nut wasn’t cut or installed perfectly. PRS will fix it, the new guitar is under warranty, unless you bought it used.

They will take care of you.

How this guitar got passed quality control in the first place makes me second guess PRS as a whole. It's really not playable.
If your dealer won't email you a shipping label to ship it back to them, they aren't a very good dealer. At all!

I am waiting on their reply. However, shipping anything where I live can often take a VERY long time these days. I've had packages take over a month from just a 3 hour drive away. My guitar got here in about week which was the fastest I've seen since covid, but still that's in a best case scenario. Even if it's just a week both ways, plus the time to getting around to fix it, could easily be 3 weeks or more without the guitar. In a worst case scenario, could be a month or 2. Worth it? Or I can pay to have it fixed locally. Or just sell it. Don't really have any good options.

How this guitar got passed quality control in the first place makes me second guess PRS as a whole. It's really not playable.

Is it a US model or was it an SE import? Just curious. I've only bought US models, and they've all been perfect (including one bought just a few months ago). I've probably had 35-40 PRSes over the years, and have had nothing but good experiences.

But people assemble the guitars, and a lot of hand work gets done on each guitar. And people are only human beings. They can overlook something. Seems like it can be fixed.

It's obviously no skin off anyone's nose whether you fix it, sell it, return it, or set it on fire. But if I were in your shoes, I'd let the dealer or PRS deal with it and make it right.

Is it a US model or was it an SE import? Just curious. I've only bought US models, and they've all been perfect (including one bought just a few months ago). I've probably had 35-40 PRSes over the years, and have had nothing but good experiences.

But people assemble the guitars, and a lot of hand work gets done on each guitar. And people are only human beings. They can overlook something. Seems like it can be fixed.

It's obviously no skin off anyone's nose whether you fix it, sell it, return it, or set it on fire. But if I were in your shoes, I'd let the dealer or PRS deal with it and make it right.

It's an SE.

Like I said, I am waiting on the dealers response. I will then see what my options are. If it's going to be gone for in the range of a month or more, I'd rather just sell it, take a loss, and buy a another guitar I can actually play now. Our lockdown is lifting here, so I can actually test out my next one. I will probably stay clear of PRS, (SE range) at least until my frustration wears off. I know it's just one guitar, and every brand has lemons, but it was a bad first impression. The action was also high which I didn't like, and I would have had to change that too, but that's not a big deal.

IF this experience is any indication, these PRS SEs seem about on par with Fender Squires, but for the price of MIM strats in terms of quality and QC.

Last edited:
Mine needed some setup work when it arrived, and to be completely honest I was a little disappointed that a couple of little issues had been overlooked in QC (assuming there was some?). It had a very slightly high 17th fret and the action was ridiculously high, plus the bridge setup was all over the place.

However... since I’m able to sort these things out myself I just got on with it and I’m SO glad I didn’t send it back. It’s such a nice guitar to play now. My new favourite actually.

Whether your issue is related to a dodgy fret or the nut, and whether you can sort it yourself or have somebody do it for you, it would be a shame if you didn’t experience how good these guitars can be.

Good luck.

Mine needed some setup work when it arrived, and to be completely honest I was a little disappointed that a couple of little issues had been overlooked in QC (assuming there was some?). It had a very slightly high 17th fret and the action was ridiculously high, plus the bridge setup was all over the place.

However... since I’m able to sort these things out myself I just got on with it and I’m SO glad I didn’t send it back. It’s such a nice guitar to play now. My new favourite actually.

Whether your issue is related to a dodgy fret or the nut, and whether you can sort it yourself or have somebody do it for you, it would be a shame if you didn’t experience how good these guitars can be.

Good luck.

Maybe I will just end up taking it to my local shop, gettting them to change the nut, lower the action, and put locking tuners on it all at once. Then it should be fine. I hope.

It could be the nut, or the alignment of the bridge placement in relation to the neck. The nut seems more likely, but both are possible. Does the string’s distance from the edge of the fretboard get smaller towards the body, or near the nut?

If I may, I think finding out exactly what’s causing it is the most important thing, rather than deciding what remedial work needs doing without actually knowing that.

I know that some people have preferences for whatever hardware, but the standard tuners on the SE are actually quite good. Changing them won’t solve any of your problems, unless you have difficulty changing strings? Also the nut (if it’s not cut incorrectly) is decent on the SE models, being some weird graphite composite stuff. No tuning stability issues on mine, so far.

It could be the nut, or the alignment of the bridge placement in relation to the neck. The nut seems more likely, but both are possible. Does the string’s distance from the edge of the fretboard get smaller towards the body, or near the nut?

Smaller near the nut.

If I may, I think finding out exactly what’s causing it is the most important thing, rather than deciding what remedial work needs doing without actually knowing that.

I know that some people have preferences for whatever hardware, but the standard tuners on the SE are actually quite good. Changing them won’t solve any of your problems, unless you have difficulty changing strings? Also the nut (if it’s not cut incorrectly) is decent on the SE models, being some weird graphite composite stuff. No tuning stability issues on mine, so far.

I am a clumsy fool at changing strings and locking tuners would help. If I were to get work done on the guitar, i was just thinking of getting it all done at once, is all.

Smaller near the nut.
Easier to fix. Shouldn’t be that big of a deal. Inconvenient for sure, and never should have made it to you like that, but solvable. I hope the dealer gives you a solution that doesn’t involve you shipping the guitar. Let us know how it works out.

this is really not cool for you, but let the frustration go down before you make a decision, selling it at a loss will be even more **** than just fixing the problems, its unthinkable that your dealer will let you down, it is under warranty ! here, patience will pay off, in my opinion ...

this is really not cool for you, but let the frustration go down before you make a decision, selling it at a loss will be even more **** than just fixing the problems, its unthinkable that your dealer will let you down, it is under warranty ! here, patience will pay off, in my opinion ...

The dealer wants me to come in, in person (3 hour drive which I can't do anytime soon). He asked me to take pictures of the nut and the issue of the string being caught against the fretbar, which I took for him, and he will show it to his tech guys and see what they have to say, on Monday.

edit: At one point during the conversation, He suggested, that I only "bend up" when playing, so I am not too optimistic.

These are the pics I sent:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/adkkrReUexCnaTfo8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3oXBhxJjeJbtqU34A

Doesn't happen on my other guitars EVER, is all I know.

Last edited:
what! the seller tells you how to play to avoid the problemo_O!
very imaginative, whatever the problem, the reseller must offer a descent service and go to the front to solve the problem to your advantage!
here it is either he repairs the guitar, transport paid ..

he reimburses you.
or he proposes an exchange.

Back