HFS - who else loves it?

If I were into heavier music, the HFS probably would have been fine, but I found it harsh, brash. After swapping it with at least a dozen different pickups, I finalized on the 59/09 and love it.

Qualifying Statement: if I didn't need to rotate between guitars within a set or even band context, I could have lived with the HFS. But it was so radically different than the others that I'd have to change amp settings and I never do that during a show.

I have a '93 CE-24 maple top, and will never change the VB/HFS pickups. They are perfect in this guitar, and extremely versatile with the stock 5-way rotary switch. Maybe it's the alder body? I haven't been a fan of the VB/HFS in other PRSi that I've had them in. But for whatever reason, they seem to be perfect in the CE-24. I don't find them harsh at all. Actually very smooth, while still having enough balls to drive my amps. And the split coil sounds can get into Stevie Ray territory with the CE-24, which I like since I'm basically a Strat guy. My CE-24 is my go-to super-strat. No changes necessary.

I have a '93 CE-24 maple top, and will never change the VB/HFS pickups. They are perfect in this guitar, and extremely versatile with the stock 5-way rotary switch. Maybe it's the alder body? I haven't been a fan of the VB/HFS in other PRSi that I've had them in. But for whatever reason, they seem to be perfect in the CE-24. I don't find them harsh at all. Actually very smooth, while still having enough balls to drive my amps. And the split coil sounds can get into Stevie Ray territory with the CE-24, which I like since I'm basically a Strat guy. My CE-24 is my go-to super-strat. No changes necessary.
Nice! I run mine through a Mesa mark 35 combo, they melt!

I'm totally jealous. Wish I had that result with my Cu24. :cool:

This just blows me away. I don't doubt what you are claiming but I've had HFS in different PRS guitars and all I hear is harsh.

I just don't get it.

I'm a fan.

Completely agree. I have a 93 CE too and it's the most "stock" guitar I own, the HFS crushes in that guitar.

I think that we have the wrong premise we`re talking about.My starting point is that every guitar is different, just as every player is different. I also believe that every pickup can be different. If you`re happy with the sound, why mess with it? There will always be a flavor of the month that`s better for some people some of the time. While the vb/hfs in my 2003 CE 24 didn`t thrill me, I`ve heard guys sound amazing with that pickup combination. It just didn`t work for me on that guitar. I do have a couple of bone stock PRSi that I have no intention of changing. I say, "want different sounds? Buy another PRS.

I think that we have the wrong premise we`re talking about.My starting point is that every guitar is different, just as every player is different. I also believe that every pickup can be different. If you`re happy with the sound, why mess with it? There will always be a flavor of the month that`s better for some people some of the time. While the vb/hfs in my 2003 CE 24 didn`t thrill me, I`ve heard guys sound amazing with that pickup combination. It just didn`t work for me on that guitar. I do have a couple of bone stock PRSi that I have no intention of changing. I say, "want different sounds? Buy another PRS.

That's a good idea -- I should get another guitar! I love it!

I don't really hear any harshness with the HFS in my guitar. It sounds very smooth and fat on the high end, and the low end is so deliciously chewy and growly it's crazy. Maybe it's the stoptail. Maybe it's my amp. Maybe it's both together. Who knows. I do love how it sounds though. I'm going to stick with it!

This just blows me away. I don't doubt what you are claiming but I've had HFS in different PRS guitars and all I hear is harsh.

I just don't get it.

Me too, bcs the only guitars that I could not like the hfs/vintage was my CEs. I tried and tried but like some said way to harsh and too much highs. All the other custom 24, I liked them alot. Bit then again Ive heard others swear by those CEs.

You can put the 'ol Chopper down in the "Loves" column. The guitar pictured in my avatar is an HFS/VB-powered screamin' little banshee of a guitar. The first time I ever plugged that guitar in I knew it was something special.

I have HFS / VB in a 2003 CU24. The HFS pick up lives up to its name (Hot Fat Screaming). No thought of changing them out given I have a number of other PRS guitars with more modern day pick ups. This guitar can really rock!

My Tremonti's loaded with HFS and i love'em.
Sure they can be a bit harsh but they sound so crisp and every tone rings out perfect.

4DABD56A-9A46-4868-860F-2142D906E5A0_zpsqujr7b9i.jpg

Dude what a good idea! I've been messing with both of my Tremontis for a year now, can't get the pickups to work. I think I'm going to try the hfs. Also I think that the vintage bass is an awesome pickup. I don't like the fact the Tremonti bass has no splitting capabilities, I'm definitely trying the VB/HFS in one. Thank you for a great idea!

I just picked up a '91 EG-4 and absolutely love the HFS humbucker. I have a couple of Gibsons with 498 & Burstbucker pick-ups, both of which I really like, but the HFS has more grunt. In my opinion, the HFS is a great pick-up.

I use a CU, not CE but I agree with you in regards to the versatility when used with the 5-way rotary, which I also love. Ditto on being able to pull off SRV with it as well. A buddy of mine is way into that style and occasionally uses my CU24 for playing blues because he loves the comfortability of the neck and the fact that it can sound like either his strat or tele. I used the CU24 this past weekend instead of my Hollowbody (just felt like it was being neglected) and that guitar just never ceases to amaze me.

Back