HFS VB red/white/black wire clarification

Hey guys, I'm in the process of wiring my HFS and VB pickups to separate push/pull tone pots. Can someone clarify a bit of this wiring for me? From my searching, I think I've figured out that the hot wires are different colors for these pickups - HFS black hot wire, VB white hot wire... is this correct? But, other diagrams (for other manufacturers) show that the red and white wires are soldered together on the same lug of the push/pull.
So....
For the HFS, would it be white and red soldered together, and for the VB, black and red soldered together?

If this is incorrect, could someone explain how the red, white, and black wires would be connected to the separate push/pulls for their respective pickup?

THANK YOU

Well, I've had to guess. And for the neck pickup I have the red wire to the middle lug on the push pull "box", and the black wire grounded. The guitar makes sound, but there's no difference between push and pull. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?

Sorry for being confusing. I just want 2 vol and 2 push pull tones, which PRS doesn't have a blatant diagram for. Is the one you linked the one I need to use for each vol-tone pair?

Oh, I see. 2 vol/2 tone.

That's a tough one and it might take some trial and error. Look at where the 3 way switch is in the diagram, it says "Bridge pickup Hot (black)" on one side and "Neck pickup ground (black)". Based on that we know the wire colors mean different things depending on which pickup it is. This probably has to do with the fact that these pickups were designed more to work with the rotary switch rather than this setup... but that just means it'll take a little more effort.

My best guess here would be to wire up one push/pull like one side of the push/pull in the diagram, then wire up the other push/pull like the other side and see if it works.

I believe it's black hot to corresponding volume pot, white to ground, red to push pull corresponding tone pot for hfs. Not sure on the VB.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Does it matter which of the 6 small tabs on the coil tap pot I solder to? And does there need to be a ground going from one of these small tabs to the side of the pot? I'm combining diagrams and have created some confusion.

Back