HFS and Single coil neck PU?

cacrowther

A few months ago I picked up a 1996 CE24 (mahogany body, maple top/neck). I'm in love with it. The only thing I miss is throaty growl of a neck single coil (fender or P90 style). I'm looking for something to replace the Vintage Bass that's in it. The VB is a stellar pup and it will be put to use in another instrument immediately, I just want a single coil for this guitar. The real question is, what are some interesting choices out there that would match the volume and output of the HFS bridge pickup? Thanks, Chris.

In my 1988 CE24, I have an unmarked pair of 1988 Vintage Treble and Single Coil Bass. This NOS set turned up on reverb the same time I found my 88 CE - still haven't wired it up. Hopefully this month. No idea what the Single Coil Bass pup sounds like, didn't even know it existed until I saw the ad.

Single Coil Bass is a single coil winding in a hb housing. Very early PRS era.

In my 1988 CE24, I have an unmarked pair of 1988 Vintage Treble and Single Coil Bass. This NOS set turned up on reverb the same time I found my 88 CE - still haven't wired it up. Hopefully this month. No idea what the Single Coil Bass pup sounds like, didn't even know it existed until I saw the ad.

Single Coil Bass is a single coil winding in a hb housing. Very early PRS era.
Hey I think that you bought the set from me! That particular pick up combination was originally found in the "Special" model. They were pretty much a standard, with the exception of a wide thin neck, uprouted trem and the single coil bass/hfs ii pickup combination. I believe they changed the single coil to a vb in 1990.

Hey I think that you bought the set from me! That particular pick up combination was originally found in the "Special" model. They were pretty much a standard, with the exception of a wide thin neck, uprouted trem and the single coil bass/hfs ii pickup combination. I believe they changed the single coil to a vb in 1990.

Yep, that was me! I forgot you mentioning these were used in the Special model - now I just need to find the Special's wiring diagram. Thanks, man! :D

Thanks folks! Another idea I was throwing around was a mounting ring to put a hot strat or tele style pickup in. What do we think of this? Any suggestions?

Thanks folks! Another idea I was throwing around was a mounting ring to put a hot strat or tele style pickup in. What do we think of this? Any suggestions?

I have them on two PRS, they look a lil' wonky but work well. I haven't found a 'bucker sized single that sounds "right" to me.

That's what I was thinking. At the very least it opens up endless aditional options. What I don't want is a lot of volume drop off. If I can find something with the smooth throaty sound of a strat or P90 guitar that's volume matched to the HFS, that would be ideal.

What are some good single coil options around 8.5k that would be a good match for the HFS? Hum reduction is a bonus, but not at the expense of that sweet single coil tone.

If I throw my tuppence worth in, bare knuckles humbucker sized P90s slot in, and they have a range of tones, which their website demos.

Missisippi Queens (mid range) are great, can get a real change in character from picking dynamics; they get some shielding from hum from the design - its not an issue anyways.

I have a strat with noiseless pickups, and a SE with MQ's and there is a big volume difference betixt the two for the same amp settings, P90s definitely are = or > than humbucker, much higher output than the strat

Back