Hey You - Shut Up! The New CE ROCKS!

I wonder if all the new ce's come with the import trem? It looks as though there is a core trem on prs's site featuring the new ce.

I'm telling y'all...spent a few more days with her, and she holds her own with the big boys in the stable.

If you like 85/15s (or 58/15s) or even want to try them, this is the entry point. If you cab find a used set, sure, swap them into an older CE and its probably a more authentic "traditional" PRS.

This thing smokes, ladies and germs. I've been a little underwhelmed by the S2s that I have had (as previously posted).

This sounds and plays like the real deal.

I wonder if all the new ce's come with the import trem? It looks as though there is a core trem on prs's site featuring the new ce.

My guess is that change to the SE trem was made VERY late into the process. Thats why the promo photo on the site has the core trem. One of the original images on American Musical had a core trem on it also. They figured they'd sell more guitars at the 2000$ price point with the SE trem than at 2299$ with the core trem. PRS is a business and its all about what they project will make the company money. I still don't agree with the decision. But, I can put a core trem on it. There are some people out there who are dismissing it without considering that mod. The VR forum and TGP aren't being as kind as people on this site. Its no surprise that PRS put a vid up of Dave Weiner abusing the trem and making a point that it stays in tune. Thats smart on PRS part. I've been keeping track of who has the CEs and what is selling. Initially a few sold but they aren't moving like the big hit PRS probably thought they'd be. There is a beautiful one in vintage sunburst at Sweetwater that I swore wouldn't stay long and its been there a few days. We'll see how this year goes for the CE line.

All of the sudden the old CEs seem more attractive then the new ones, that new carve is something PRS should have not touched, I mean it was one of the things that attracted customers to the CE in the first place, now they are offering an inferior topcarve at top $$ prices when used ones are going anywhere from $900 to 1,400, I really don't see any advantages of getting a new CE over an old one..... What am I missing???

I think your absolutely right. I'm actually going to go as far as to say that your paying core price for an SE.

I don't understand why you would put a SE them on CE. One of the things I value in my 91 was the one piece trem. There's no doubt that the new CE sounds great but I just don't understand why prs would cut some corners. I feel like they did and that's my opinion.
I do say the guitar looks very attractive, and it does take balls to buy something this new and my unordinary.

There's no doubt that the new CE sounds great but I just don't understand why prs would cut some corners. I feel like they did and that's my opinion.

WTF? If it sounds great, as you admit, where's the problem?

Why would they not put a Core trem on it? Well, that's pretty FREAKIN' OBVIOUS, isn't it?

Hello: TO SAVE PRODUCTION COSTS SO MORE PEOPLE CAN AFFORD TO BUY ONE, SO PRS CAN GET THEIR GUITARS INTO MORE STORES.

What is it about this Forum that folks don't understand how businesses work?

Have you not read the many threads about how guitar dealers are mainly stocking middle-priced to low-priced guitars? About how difficult a time PRS is having getting their Core guitars into stores as evidenced by the many posts here recently that people can't try out Core models locally? About how the big box and internet stores are making life hell for local dealers?

Do you think it's because PRS Core are not pretty enough? Or not high quality enough? Or don't sound amazing?

No.

It's because they're EXPENSIVE. Stocking a store is a big financial commitment. The lower priced the stock is for the dealer, the easier it is to get into the line, and every penny COUNTS.

And the lower priced the guitar is for the customer - according to all reliable reports - the more guitars the dealer sells. Thus the profit margin is good, and the time the guitar hangs on the wall of the shop is less.

Do you think PRS should be listening to its dealers who are begging for less expensive guitars, or listening to a few Forum mavens who insist on something as esoteric as a Core tremolo bridge? Especially in view of the fact that anyone with the extra dough can just go buy a Core bridge and attach it to the freaking guitar? Or a Mann bridge?

Wake up and smell the freaking coffee. This isn't 1991. The economy is much more fragile. Profit margins for retail are WAY down. Have you not read the news on this stuff?

To castigate PRS for making difficult choices, when they still have the guitars play and sound great is truly either ignorance or just nuts, IMHO.

I've been accused of being a "hypocrite" because I defend PRS' decision on this, but I buy the good stuff.

Yes, details are important to me, which is why 3 out of my 4 PRS electrics are PS guitars. However, I do have a basic understanding of the issues businesses face, and dealers have to want to buy guitars from PRS in order for PRS to be successful. I'd rather see PRS stay successful in business so they can supply me with great instruments.

I'm happy that they're making good business decisions and still making great guitars.

Last edited:
True, thanks man.
But I could always tell my kid, this is how they made them in 1991.

True.

I got my first one in 1991.

But honestly, I think the Core line is better now than it was then. As for PS, well...it didn't exist then, though I did buy an Artist II when they came out in '92 or '93. Good as it was, my recent ones are IMHO even more awesome.

WTF? If it sounds great, as you admit, where's the problem?

Why would they not put a Core trem on it?
I didn't ask why don't they. I asked if some have them, because the ce on prs's site has a core trem. That's all. I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers.

if you pay attention to the retail prices, this guitar has a nice price niche. I have both SE and Core. A lot of players start out with less expensive, get the fever, and then upgrade, sometimes over many years. I know a lot of players who never sell their quality early guitars, and just keep getting better instruments as their finances allow. Add to this the different sounds each tier in the line makes. it seems logical to me. I don`t understand the "it`s not as nice as a core" mentality. IT`S NOT A CORE! IT`S A US MADE BEAUTY THAT IS AFFORDABLE, and an upgrade from the S2`s.Let`s not be snot bags. I, for one, can`t wait to play one.

I just wasn't really satisfied, and I have the right to demand more! Lol that's all I'm saying. But hey it really is too early to say.
Mby it would be a good idea for me to order through a dealer, especially now that they are bolting body's and necks, may be possible more than ever to get what I want. My world's not perfect ;)

I guess the core issue that myself, Les and some others are having is this. I'm not the internet police. It's not my job to tell anyone how to act, except of course for Sergio, and that's only because he needs our guidance! (The smiley face won't insert here on my tablet, but is certainly implied). Everyone has a right to express their opinion about these guitars. That is not the issue. The issue is, don't crap all over someones NGD thread!

There are other threads introducing this guitar. Do it there! We congratulate guys who get their first SE here. Why? Because we believe that, for the money, there is nothing better. We believe that they have just opened the door to later discover the best guitars on the planet. We don't go in the NGD SE thread and crap all over the guitar because of the trem or tuners or pickups are laminated tops, because our core models have better stuff at all those points. We congratulate, encourage, answer questions about upgrades, anything we can to help and encourage. In a separate thread, where guys are asking questions about those guitars, we might pick the things we wanted to upgrade, or discuss the improvement to the instrument after certain changes were made. But we don't go in an NGD thread questioning why PRS did this or that on the SE that someone just got and is very happy with, and very proud of. It serves no purpose IN THESE THREADS.

When I got my Mark V25, there were some old time Boogie snobs crapping all over the NAD threads of people who got the V25, saying it would never be a "Real Boogie." It would never sound like a REAL IIC+ because of the wimpy EL84s, etc. etc. That got smacked down pretty quickly, as they should have. To put it as politely as I can, it's not a classy move.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions even if I disagree with them, but in the other threads. Please don't continue to crap on someones NGD thread. Holy Crap... this particular forum brother HAS PS GUITARS! I see guys who don't even have cores complaining about the features on his new guitar, when A) he LOVES it and B) they have never even played one! That seems funny to me, but bringing up your issues with his guitar, here, is just wrong. Fire away in the other threads. Please though, not here.

But what the heck do I know.

I realize Carl's thread title may be inviting differing opinions but, let's keep in mind this is a NGD post. If y'all wanna b!tch and moan do it in the other thread filled with b!tiching and moaning.

Carl knows CE's. If he say's his rocks... that's all I need to hear.

I guess the core issue that myself, Les and some others are having is this. I'm not the internet police. It's not my job to tell anyone how to act, except of course for Sergio, and that's only because he needs our guidance! (The smiley face won't insert here on my tablet, but is certainly implied). Everyone has a right to express their opinion about these guitars. That is not the issue. The issue is, don't crap all over someones NGD thread!

Thank you! We must've posted at the exact same time!

...About that guidance sh!t: I'm not listenin' to anybody rockin' a blue guitar. :p

There are other threads introducing this guitar. Do it there! We congratulate guys who get their first SE here. Why? Because we believe that, for the money, there is nothing better. We believe that they have just opened the door to later discover the best guitars on the planet. We don't go in the NGD SE thread and crap all over the guitar because of the trem or tuners or pickups are laminated tops, because our core models have better stuff at all those points. We congratulate, encourage, answer questions about upgrades, anything we can to help and encourage. In a separate thread, where guys are asking questions about those guitars, we might pick the things we wanted to upgrade, or discuss the improvement to the instrument after certain changes were made. But we don't go in an NGD thread questioning why PRS did this or that on the SE that someone just got and is very happy with, and very proud of. It serves no purpose IN THESE THREADS.

When I got my Mark V25, there were some old time Boogie snobs crapping all over the NAD threads of people who got the V25, saying it would never be a "Real Boogie." It would never sound like a REAL IIC+ because of the wimpy EL84s, etc. etc. That got smacked down pretty quickly, as they should have. To put it as politely as I can, it's not a classy move.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions even if I disagree with them, but in the other threads. Please don't continue to crap on someones NGD thread. Holy Crap... this particular forum brother HAS PS GUITARS! I see guys who don't even have cores complaining about the features on his new guitar, when A) he LOVES it and B) they have never even played one! That seems funny to me, but bringing up your issues with his guitar, here, is just wrong. Fire away in the other threads. Please though, not here.

But what the heck do I know.
Bravo! Well said

I just wasn't really satisfied, and I have the right to demand more! Lol that's all I'm saying. But hey it really is too early to say.
Mby it would be a good idea for me to order through a dealer, especially now that they are bolting body's and necks, may be possible more than ever to get what I want. My world's not perfect ;)

I get it, really. Forgive the sarcasm in my response. Everyone wants things to be the way they, well, want them!

My feeling is that we're living in a very tough financial environment for instrument makers, who are being squeezed to death by slack retail sales, a market controlled by companies like GC, and as Paul says, kids who'd rather learn to screw around with their iPhones than learn to play guitar.

Perhaps I'm too much of a fanboy. But all kinds of rumors abound on the internet. "Even the guys at the PRS Forum are complaining about the tremolo on the new XYZ model..." etc., just gives the know-nothings more opportunity to slag PRS, when in fact there's a stellar instrument that does its job really well available to the public at a good price.

There aren't a lot of companies whose work I believe in any more, but PRS is a company I do admire, and Paul Smith is a creative force working in a difficult climate. So I try to be supportive.

I know this CE-24 has got to be a truly killer guitar. How do I know... you ask? They are basically the same as my wood library CU24 30th with maple neck and 85/15s, except for the bolts where I have glue. I really don't get the criticism. The SE trems work pretty darn well, certainly better than most other stock non-locking trems.
My 30th is the absolute guitar of my dreams (so far). I think PRS really nailed it on the CE.

However, I'm still too jealous to comment on either your or Les' 20th anni PS's (grumble grumble congratulations grumble).

Tom

Back