Hey Chicagoans! Restaurant suggestions?

So this will be, probably last post here and I'll let the thread RIP. But a few final "thank you's" and reports.

@Kiwi, I'm from Nebraska, cattle country! Home of some of the best steak restaurants in the country. I may have had one of the best ribeye steaks in my life at Gene and Georgetti's! It was spectacular! And we also use to have Italian steakhouses and a "little Italy" section of Omaha. For decades all restaurant industry here was controlled by 5 Italian families. This evening took me back to those days! What fun! I expected Sonny Corleone to come walking out of the bathroom with a gun in his hand any minute.

@bodia Miss Ricky's was great but I will argue I don't think it has a "Diner Vibe". A diner, to me is stools and food bar, etc. To me, this was so comfortable it was the opposite. Most seating was almost a couch. But who cares?! It was delicious, fun and our waitress was nice.
Mr. and Mrs. matonanjin at Miss Ricky's:
MissRickys.jpg

Matonanjin's Wagyu Ribeye benedict at Miss ricky's
20220912_124310.jpg

Les, @LSchefman Petterino's was really good. Thank you.

And we did make it to the Bear's season opener. It was a wet, miserable mess but fun. And the Bears won!
R&BSoldierField.jpg

So this will be, probably last post here and I'll let the thread RIP. But a few final "thank you's" and reports.

@Kiwi, I'm from Nebraska, cattle country! Home of some of the best steak restaurants in the country. I may have had one of the best ribeye steaks in my life at Gene and Georgetti's! It was spectacular! And we also use to have Italian steakhouses and a "little Italy" section of Omaha. For decades all restaurant industry here was controlled by 5 Italian families. This evening took me back to those days! What fun! I expected Sonny Corleone to come walking out of the bathroom with a gun in his hand any minute.

@bodia Miss Ricky's was great but I will argue I don't think it has a "Diner Vibe". A diner, to me is stools and food bar, etc. To me, this was so comfortable it was the opposite. Most seating was almost a couch. But who cares?! It was delicious, fun and our waitress was nice.
MissRickys.jpg

20220912_124310.jpg

And we did make it to the Bear's season opener. It was a wet, miserable mess but fun. And the Bears won!
R&BSoldierField.jpg
Glad you made it to Miss Ricky’s! You’re right, diner vibe was probably off the mark. Unique would have been a better descriptor. That ribeye looks great!

MissRickys.jpg

20220912_124310.jpg

R&BSoldierField.jpg
Glad you liked it! Most importantly, seems like you had a lot of fun!

OK, THIS WILL BE the last post on this. But in all the excitement about the great time in Chicago I forgot about our original reason for going: Clapton!

Until this trip the greatest concert we have ever attended was Clapton last August in Nashville. I highly we will ever be able to report another concert better than a few weeks ago. And it wasn't just Clapton. When Jimmy Vaughan opened for Clapton in Nashville it was so meh. It bordered on boring. Without my even raising the subject, as we were leaving this time, my wife commented on how great Jimmy was. She has me looking for his set lisst to try and find a couple songs he played.

But back to Clapton. I've ranted here about what a great time we had this trip with the restaurants, the game, etc. If all of those had been boring, Clapton's concert would have made it worth the time and expense.

I know Clapton is not the genre for some of you on here. But if he is, and you're in the Chicago area, you shouldn't have missed it. A really crappy cell phone pic but I had to post it.

Clapton0922.jpg

Now I'm done:) Probably;):cool:

OK, THIS WILL BE the last post on this. But in all the excitement about the great time in Chicago I forgot about our original reason for going: Clapton!

Until this trip the greatest concert we have ever attended was Clapton last August in Nashville. I highly we will ever be able to report another concert better than a few weeks ago. And it wasn't just Clapton. When Jimmy Vaughan opened for Clapton in Nashville it was so meh. It bordered on boring. Without my even raising the subject, as we were leaving this time, my wife commented on how great Jimmy was. She has me looking for his set lisst to try and find a couple songs he played.

But back to Clapton. I've ranted here about what a great time we had this trip with the restaurants, the game, etc. If all of those had been boring, Clapton's concert would have made it worth the time and expense.

I know Clapton is not the genre for some of you on here. But if he is, and you're in the Chicago area, you shouldn't have missed it. A really crappy cell phone pic but I had to post it.

Clapton0922.jpg

Now I'm done:) Probably;):cool:
I've seen Clapton a few times; on his own, and with Cream (yeah THAT sure was a long time ago!).

They were all some of the best concerts I've ever attended. He's a great entertainer, songwriter, and guitarist. There's stuff he's said over the years that grinds me the wrong way, but I really do try and divorce myself from these things and concentrate the music. At that, he's still great.

You'll have a great time at the concert and exploring Chicago. As for pizza and steak, there are plenty of great places to choose from. If you're looking for something unique to the Chicago area, you might want to try one of the city's many deep-dish pizzas. For steak, there are several great restaurants downtown, but my personal favorite is www.riwa-restaurant.de. They have an amazing selection of steak and seafood, and the views of the city from their rooftop patio are incredible. Hope you have a great trip!

Last edited:
Back