Here's Why PRS Bookmatching Looks "off"...

Nice write up...never thought about it as i figured that the thickness and carve played a role....see what i did there....figured =p

Makes sense. As a bonus, can you explain why sometimes figured maple tops on PRS guitars have roughly inch long "marks" perpendicular to the flame and scattered throughout? This also seems unique to PRS.

I would say 5% of highly figured PRS guitars have these marks on them. Like this one, on both sides of the rear pup, and on the bottom side, heading back towards the toggle switch. Has always bothered me, what is it from? I want to think it's grain marks, but why are they "intermittent" if so. Looks like morse code.

IMG_1377_zps9ihyvjwv.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another example. In this one it is clearly the grain, but it's the grain inconsistently taking the dye/stain. See left lower bout and below the stop bar.

s-l1600.jpg

Nice write up...never thought about it as i figured that the thickness and carve played a role....see what i did there....figured =p

Very punny. :p

Thanks!

Nice to see that question addressed.... be sure to click the "our top 6 PRS finishes." link.... ;)

Can't go wrong with a bit of PRS pr0n.

How about it! Killer!

Thanks, we have a ton of articles related to PRS (and to other brands) on our site content site.

Makes sense. As a bonus, can you explain why sometimes figured maple tops on PRS guitars have roughly inch long "marks" perpendicular to the flame and scattered throughout? This also seems unique to PRS.

I would say 5% of highly figured PRS guitars have these marks on them. Like this one, on both sides of the rear pup, and on the bottom side, heading back towards the toggle switch. Has always bothered me, what is it from? I want to think it's grain marks, but why are they "intermittent" if so. Looks like morse code.

IMG_1377_zps9ihyvjwv.jpg

Here's another example. In this one it is clearly the grain, but it's the grain inconsistently taking the dye/stain. See left lower bout and below the stop bar.

s-l1600.jpg

That's a really good question. I'm too sure as I'm not a luthier but I have seen it on other guitars I've owned from various boutique builders. It might just the grain and something that becomes more apparently once the wood has been cut into. I'm not sure how correct I am about this, but IIRC PRS stains, then sands back, then stains again to achieve some of their finishes which is what gives them that level of depth. I think this might also make marks like the ones you pointed out more apparent.

Angle of the rough cut wood makes a difference and also the grain is not going to be at perfect 45 degree angle when you split it. Google xylem and phloem for a technical description which creates the grain patterns. And yes, wood varies in density which impacts how the stain soaks into the wood.

Back