Here's my Über cool idea...

Speaking of gig bags...

I had one of the PRS leather ones a few years back, and liked it a lot (too bad it's no longer offered), but am really impressed with the Incase hybrid gig bags (the ones that come with a certain competitor's John Mayer model are particularly sweet). The bags are extremely well-made, incredibly protective, and I think they'd be especially awesome if PRS were to have something built to PRS specs. I've never seen a better made bag, or a nicer one in terms of amenities.

The only functional change to the Incase that I'd want would be to replace the nylon mesh that runs along the guitar's rims on the lower bout with something that would be kinder to the finish. And of course, it needs a PRS logo! Maybe a little paisley would be ok in the trim. Not too much. ;)

I hear you mate. I actually had the original Jon Mayer InCase (black with huge "F" on top).
A friend has it now, and it IS pretty damn awezome as far as protection goes.
The "real back pack straps" are also a bonus. However, I find it (at least that version) a bit too heavy and bulky,
and I even doubt I would be allowed to check it in the over head compartment on a plane (it's that bulky).
The regular PRS bag (at least for me), offer enough protection, whilst still being slim enough not to stur up
hassle when boarding. However, I must add that I'm not too concerned about dinging my guitars up,
apart from a broken neck, I'm all good and are more of the "play it like you mean it" mindset when live,
hence my PRSi all have dings and scratches (note, I would not intentionally damage it in any way, we're just talking
general wear and tear).

I hear you mate. I actually had the original Jon Mayer InCase (black with huge "F" on top).
A friend has it now, and it IS pretty damn awezome as far as protection goes.
The "real back pack straps" are also a bonus. However, I find it (at least that version) a bit too heavy and bulky,
and I even doubt I would be allowed to check it in the over head compartment on a plane (it's that bulky).
The regular PRS bag (at least for me), offer enough protection, whilst still being slim enough not to stur up
hassle when boarding. However, I must add that I'm not too concerned about dinging my guitars up,
apart from a broken neck, I'm all good and are more of the "play it like you mean it" mindset when live,
hence my PRSi all have dings and scratches (note, I would not intentionally damage it in any way, we're just talking
general wear and tear).

I think the Incase wouldn't be a problem in the overhead compartment, honestly; I've traveled with a 35" scale Modulus Graphite bass in the overhead in a heavily padded and bulky Levy's leather case, and it was fine, and bigger than the Incase Mayer bag I had, so...pretty sure the Incase would fit.

The Incase has a full length neck support, I doubt there'd be much risk of a broken neck; and it's more protective and has a laptop pocket. Anyway, that'd be my first choice for travel. I haven't had to fly with a guitar for a gig in a while, so I guess I don't need to spend much time worrying about it.

Back