Hemispherical Fret ends

Parralax view

Anybody else have them, or heard of them for that matter?? I had a strat refretted about 3 yrs. ago. The tech installed jumbo nickel frets. He asked if I wanted Hemi fret ends?? Huh?? A small "ball" is shaped at the fret end and is as smooth as can possibly be. He even offered the deal that if I didn't like them, I wouldn't pay for them. I paid. It's the only one I have with such fret ends. Am I the only one that has this?? I've never seen it discussed anywhere..

Sounds like they might have a larger playing area, the string has a less chance of slipping off the end? I never had it happen but have heard guys complain about it, maybe this gives a marginally wider fret surface?

Typical spherical fret ends... gives a slightly wider fret surface for bends but may feel like chatter vs angled as sliding up/down the fretboard.
iu

They are similar to the above, only it's an actual rounded off ball, not quite as contoured as those. I feel absolutely nothing moving up and down the board. It's the only guitar I have them on and probably will be, but they are pretty nice.

Back