Help with SE singlecut upgrades?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Siddiq, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Siddiq

Siddiq New Member

Hey guys!

Sorry if the topic is repetitive. I have perused through the SE mod thread to find some answers but....

Got to thinking after playing my tremonti that my se single cut needs some love and upgrades. Maybe due to me noticing the vast difference in tone. The us guitar just breathes better and the tone is fat and it opens up more imho...

I was thinking of upgrading

Pickups - prs metal treble

Prs (something vintage )

Nut- US PRS ( which for my 2008 SE?)

Drop in electronics - US PRS ( which one?)

Tuners ( only because some of them have some rust on them) (se non locking is fine?)

I don’t dabble with electronics for fun neither does my craft so Id be taking the guitar to a local luthier to do the upgrades.

Any suggestions as to what upgrade choices to choose?

My main concern is making sure it all fits/connects properly with no issues as simply returning items that don’t, won’t be an option.

Btw do drop in electronics mean tone/vol pots, capacitors, pickup switches etc?

shimmilou likes this.
  2. Tahlee

Tahlee Tollywood Rhode Island

A prewired kit is like this. This one is for a McCarty, but they also sell them with two volumes and two tones.

[​IMG]

Siddiq, shimmilou and grausch like this.
  3. Siddiq

Siddiq New Member

Ahh ok so it basically gives you the electronics for the guitar minus the pickups ?

Thanks!

shimmilou likes this.
  4. Tahlee

Tahlee Tollywood Rhode Island

Exactly. So, the only thing you can do wrong is wire the pickups wrong. :DEverything else is already done correctly for you.

Siddiq likes this.
  5. dogrocketp

dogrocketp I drank the PRS kool aid, and it was tasty!

I’d go Hipshot locking tuners, I have them on all my SE’s. Do you have a stoptail? A new bridge will make quite a difference. I have several -the USA PRS aluminum is great with standard string gauge. The Schroeder boat tail is on a couple of mine. You want the wide fat/ wide thin nut. Have at it!

#5 dogrocketp, Jun 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Siddiq likes this.
  6. Egads

Egads One, Two, THIRTEEN!

Agree!

Siddiq likes this.
  7. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Lampshades!

Siddiq and Tahlee like this.
  8. Draconomics

Draconomics Dragons are cool. Not so sure about Asia.

I'll thrown in my two cents on upgrades I've done to SE's over the years...

Tuners - I use Gotoh stuff. They make alot of different style (Kluson, Schaller styles) and in various gear ratios. some 15:1, and the 510 series has as high as 22:1. All Japanese made, and good value, generally $50-$100 range depending on what you get and if they are locking or not.

Pickups - I dont really have one brand I use, but I'll mention a couple I use and like: I just got a set of Domingers (this crazy guy from South Carolina builds and hand winds these) and I really dig them. I'm always on the hunt for PRS Dragons, always loved the sound of those, but I dont think these are made anymore so I typically only find them used.

Electronics - Referring to the wiring harness. I get mine built by this guy. He can make a custom harness for you, just ask him. The tonal difference with a better harness isnt earth shattering, but better pots give you a more gradual taper, better components = more durable, and better soldering than factory stock.

Nut - I think SE's come with a graphite composite, which aint bad. I've used both Tusq and bone as replacements and like em better. Brass is kinda...*shrug*.

Bridge - I dont exactly have a go-to for a bridge replacement. I rather liked the SE wraparound style on their stoptails. That being said, I ended up using a Babicz Tune-o-matic on my Singlecut SE. The gut-wrenching part was having to drill into the body to install the tailpiece. Those bridges are pretty cool though, instead of blade type saddles they use a roller cam.

Hope that helps!

9. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

I'm sure you've seen what I've done with my 245. So i recommend the Gotoh Tuners. And Jackson Electronic Luthier wiring harnesses. Knobs realky depend on the look you are going for. I went with black with abalone rings, but there are hundreds of different one out there. Just make sure you get the right shaft size for your pots.

Siddiq likes this.