Help with customization of PRS Zach Myers

DoomCarrot

Hey, so I just picked up a Zach Myers signature model for a great price. Had my eye on it for a long time. I want to change a few things:

1. Replace the plastic tuners with nice chrome or nickel ones
2. Put some chrome or nickel covers on the zebra pickups
3. Replace the plastic pickup rings with mahogany or maybe ebony pickup rings
4. Change out the transparent control knobs with pearl inlaid wood knobs

Has anyone modified any of these parts on this model? What kind of specifications and sizes am I looking at? My biggest concern is with the pickup rings/covers. Any idea what parts would fit this model perfectly? And would some SD-91’s be a good fit to replace the stock tuners?

The Gotoh SD-91s are designed for six-on-a-side tuners. Not sure if you could make them work on the ZM.

You could order a set of Gotoh SD-90s from https://www.g-jax.com/global/machineheads/kluson-type/SD90 and have them specifiy different knobs. The SD-90s are a perfect fit. You could also go higher spec with the SD510 tuners, but I have not yet tried those. If you compare the measurements with the SD90s at the g-jax website you should be able to ascertain if they would work.

Can’t provide any info on the other mods you plan on doing.

Ok great thanks! I will probably do that with the tuners. Thanks for the info.

From what I’ve seen, almost all potentiometers have the same size stem, so I’m pretty sure (most) knobs would fit on any guitar.

I’m sort of worried about the pickup covers and rings though. Are there any more popular prs models that have the same measurements/angles as the zach myers SE around the pickups? I could probably find both items for a more popular prs and just use them on mine but I’m not sure what kind of body they based the zach myers off of, or if it is an entirely custom stand alone shape

From what I’ve seen, almost all potentiometers have the same size stem, so I’m pretty sure (most) knobs would fit on any guitar.
I have an SE Zach Myers. Did some mods to it as well. Some things of note regarding pots/knobs. The SE naturally uses import parts. They have a slightly narrower shaft width than the standard 3/8" USA pots. So you'll have to enlarge the holes a little bit to fit USA pots through. Also, the metric pots have less splines on the knob end. So if you plan on replacing the knobs, you might want to match the spline count to metric/USA spacing (coarse/fine), depending on which pots you use in the guitar.

Any of you mod the pick ups? I kinda want a heavier bridge. Love the airy effect of the neck. But want a heavier bridge sound. Any suggestions?

I bought the usa ones for my McCarty. I am thrilled to have em on there.
Does John still make them? I haven’t seen them in stock the last few times I looked. I have the SE version on my ZM.

Back