Help with CU24 wiring

dsiew

Hi all,

While planning to install a set of 59/09s into my CU24, I thought I'd take a look into the control cavity.

Below is a recreation that might be easier to review than taking photos of the existing wiring:

CU24-Wiring_zps26dxlpbw.jpg

FYI, the guitar originally came with a 5-way rotary which was been replaced with the McCarty setup above.

The pickups are currently a custom-wound set from a local winder.

A couple of questions:

1. What do you make of this wiring? It looks strange to me ...

2. I couldn't quite make heads or tails of the resistor's value. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Danny

One thing to check on is your 59/09 wiring setup. Do you have the 3 wire (white, black, red) or the braided wire with a white wire for tapping. IF you have the later then the neck pickup could have the reversed magnet in it. you still can setup the first wire option to do what the second one does, but knowing what your working with will make the swap easier.

Second thing is what are your plans with the controls. do you plan to tap coils? knowing the answer to the first part will determine your options for the second part.

The scheme above looks good to me for taping with a master volume and master tone. The caps on the volume pot is a treble bleed with parallel resistor. This link explains purpose.

Again, knowing your wire setup on the 59/09's will help in determining how to swap them into the current control setup.

Thanks for the reply.

1. My 59/09s do indeed have the red, white, black wires in addition to the braided wire.

2. My plans are to reuse the McCarty push-pull setup.

Ok, to get the same output, here is what I learned from fellow memebers

neck pickup. Black lead goes with braided to ground and white is your hot. Red is for tapping
bridge pickup. White lead goes with braided to ground and black is the hot. Red is for tapping

this will allow you to use your 59/09 in the setup in your guitar.

Back