Help with cu24 electronics repair

Use the correct solder type for guitar electronics. Check out stewmac or Guitarfetish to get the correct type and hit the local electronic store for it. They should also be able to get u the correct type. RadioShack is a good option

...I do have 1 question still. What in gods name do they use for solder on guitars? Titanium? I often have a hard time getting solder to melt in guitars especially on the backs of pots. My soldering iron claims to go to 500°C which seems terrifyingly high and still I have issues.

It isn't the max temp that sizes the iron, it's the watts. The reason the solder isn't melting quickly on the pots is because the metal pot is pulling the heat away from the solder. If you have a blade tip or a large round tip instead of a fine point tip it will help to get the heat quickly to the solder before the metal pulls it away. They work well on the post but not so well on the terminals and wires as they are less manageable. Also, a 30 watt iron will serve you better than a 20 watt one will. They stay hotter longer when in contact with the solder.

I live directly in the middle of nowhere. We don't have an electronics store in my town or for 70 miles. I have small solder I use for this type of thing. I have never had such a hard time working with electronics. Lol. Luckily my wife fixed it. You were right. My soldering was terrible. She was smart enough to take the components out. That helped...

Thanks for the help!

I live directly in the middle of nowhere. We don't have an electronics store in my town or for 70 miles. I have small solder I use for this type of thing. I have never had such a hard time working with electronics. Lol. Luckily my wife fixed it. You were right. My soldering was terrible. She was smart enough to take the components out. That helped...

Thanks for the help!
Sounds like you owe her a nice dinner!

I owe her lots of things. She's the best!

Thought I'd finish this thread off with a pic. The middle one is the CU24 in question.

Thanks again for all the help. Glad it was something easy.

image_7.jpeg

I owe her lots of things. She's the best!

Thought I'd finish this thread off with a pic. The middle one is the CU24 in question.

Thanks again for all the help. Glad it was something easy.

image_7.jpeg
Great looking trio!

Back