Help with crackle on a new S2 Mira

Ironpig

I'm absolutely loving my new PRS Mira S2 but one things is driving me crazy. It seems to have a crackle but it only builds up when you play and for a few seconds afterwards, especially on some big rhythm parts. It's almost as if you're building up static as you strum.

it doesn't happen with any other guitar I have.

the closest explanation I've found on the web (apparently I'm not alone) is a build up of static from the scratchplate.

Has anybody else noticed this and is there a solution?

thanks!!

Apart from this, I'm absolutely loving this guitar and prefer it to my CE22.

This is odd, isn't it?

You can test if it is the pick guard building static by wrapping the guard with aluminum foil (taking care not to let the fool touch any wires or connections and grounding the foil to the bridge. If you still crackle, it isn't the pick guard.

Aren't you supposed to rub a dryer sheet or something like that on the pick guard to tame that? IDK, I'm pickguardless.

Haven't looked at the back of the pickguard but I've ordered some copper tape to try anyway. Will report back when I've tried that.

That's new to me about pick guards...interesting. Could the pots be dirty and it only happens when you turn or bump the volume or treble/bass pots??

Update: aaahhh...learn something new every day...I've seen many basses/guitars where the foil shielding in the cavity comes up over the lip to contact the cavity cover's sheet of foil. I guess I've never had one with an issue like this, or actually dealt with anyone elses with this issue.

Last edited:
I coincedentally just opened up an older guitar I have and found something kind of cool, there's a piece of aluminum foil folded over once (about 1/2 inch wide) and run from the edge of the control cavity where the cover mounts to, down the side, under the washer of one of the pots. The control cavity cover also has a layer of foil on the back. So I think this strip of foil connects with the foil on the back of the cover, and is grounding the cover through the control pot. I can get a pic if you'd like.

Aren't you supposed to rub a dryer sheet or something like that on the pick guard to tame that? IDK, I'm pickguardless.

I've read this on forums, too. It's particularly a result of being in a very dry environment. Not a problem I've ever had living in the humid southeast USA.

Going to keep following this one...I have not noticed thus phenomenon on my S2 Mira, but am surely interested to see what it the root cause...

In case anybody else has the same problem, I found that putting copper tape on the inside of the pickguard has helped a lot.

Back