Help-Tremonti 10 Top (Faded Whale Blue)-What Would You Do?

Would you keep it?

• Total voters

Unoriginal Username

TLDR; I got a 2018 Mark Tremonti Signature 10 Top Faded Whale Blue at GC for $2400 USD, was it a steal or was I the fool?

Hello fellow PRS enthusiasts. First time posting on the forums; I'm just looking for some people more adverse in the PRS brand. Went to GC last weekend to go and try the PRS SE Pauls Guitar, looking for a flashy gig guitar. Having primarily been a loyalist to the big two I decided it was time for something different. It wasn't Tremonti or Mayer or anyone in particular that made me want to try out PRS, but rather the fact that everyone who commonly goes "unnamed". I've started to notice more and more people use PRS and that speaks volume about a brand when it's not about endorsements or years of history but rather about the actual composition and production of music. I must was I completely blown away by every PRS I touched and they all felt like they were beyond the price bracket they were in. I noticed this beauty on the wall in the used section, started playing and instantly felt it to be unlike anything I've owned/played before. I didn't know it was a 10 top at the time and to be fair I don't think they did either as it's not specified on my receipt (photo provided). I tried to do as much research as I can but under the circumstances of only having my phone and it being a brand I'm unfamiliarly with I couldn't find much information about it other than what was on Sweetwater. (non 10 top) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ure-with-adjustable-stoptail-faded-whale-blue (10 top) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...top-with-adjustable-stoptail-faded-whale-blue They were asking 2499 and after some debate and conversation I got them to take $100 off and a fresh pair of strings (whoopie). After a few days at home and some more research I'm having doubts. Like many others, I don't expect much from GC in terms of service but it is the place I go when I want an absolute deal. I was looking for something to gig with and the $1000 range is where I feel like I get the most ROI. I have a few guitars in this price range but they are in mint or near perfect condition. This guitar is definitely in players condition, might even be a modification to the neck a previous owner made; buckle rash/scratches on the back are very noticeable, couple headstock dinks, back of neck looks like someone took steel wool to it but maybe it came like that, not really sure (photos provided) along with various other bumps and scratches not pictured around the sides and back of the guitars. In the case was a hangtag for a P22 which I had a chuckle at (photo provided). The story I was told was that it came from another GC, and the seller was a frequent customer who purchased and sold higher end instruments (the more I think about it the more I find it plausible) But no official documentation other than the serial number on the back. At the end of the day, I'm taking an ROI perspective. It's become my favorite instrument I own but if anyone here thinks I could go and haggle some more by all means I'm the man for that mission. Alternatively if anyone thinks I got away like a bandit or a goblin please console my woes. I'd like to think it was a pretty good find but an even better introduction into a fantastic brand. But with no documentation and it being in the condition that it's in I'm worried I'll have a hard time getting rid of it in a few years when I inevitable decided to sell it. It's definitely something I I'd buy full price and just use in the studio if I'm not absolutely walking away the "winner" here. Any comments, questions, and concerns are appreciated.

What anyone else thinks isn’t nearly as important as if you enjoy it.

Personally, I like a “player’s” guitar. A little experience doesn’t change how the guitar feels, plays, or sounds. For something like that, a hang tag doesn’t change the value at all. Nobody will make their decision to buy it from you based on whether or not you have “documentation.”

Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your new guitar.

Hope you resolve any issues you have with it.

Welcome to the forum, and great intro into PRS!

My first Core PRS was also a beater from Guitar Center - a Custom 22 that was beat to all hell, but had a rosewood neck. I managed to get that guitar, a strap, a stand, and a set of strings all for under $2200.00. I felt like I made out pretty good on that deal.

In regards to your questions, really, only you can answer them. I will say I don't think going back and trying to haggle for another refund or other compensation will produce much....I mean, maybe it will, but if I was the manager, I probably wouldn't budge. The deal was made at the time and the sale is done, so any further negotiations would be off the table. Unless, of course, you were returning in the allotted return time-frame or putting it towards a different purchase.

Having said that, it sounds like you REALLY enjoy the guitar! For that alone, I'd say you're doing just fine. Yeah, it's definitely been modified and beat up. The neck was definitely "satin-ized" with some fine-grit sand paper or steel wool (common with people who don't like glossy necks) and the rest of the guitar looks like it took some hits. But, even with all that, it still plays great and sounds great. It also sounds like it's suiting your musical needs on all fronts. That alone is a bit of a testament to the quality and reliability of PRS guitars.

If it was me (which it kinda was years ago with my first PRS) I'd keep it and use that as motivation to save and look for my next one, possibly one "new" condition. That's just me, though....there are plenty of people who find more than one expensive guitar excessive.

Congrats, again, and welcome to PRS-land!

Welcome to the forum!

While we don’t do “appraisal” type posts here, you’ll find most of us are on the side of “if it’s inspiring me, then it’s worth it.” Value is far beyond price paid, and resale hopes. The value of a musical instrument is the music it inspires me to make with it. Now, that’s me… I’m not saying you have to think the same.

If it’s not your thing, return it. If you dig it, get your return on investment through use and enjoyment.

Besides, it looks like it came with a decent dog.

If it’s not your thing, return it. If you dig it, get your return on investment through use and enjoyment.

Besides, it looks like it came with a decent dog.

I agree with every sentiment expressed by Rick.

As for GC sending a P22 card: I once bought a HXDA amp head from the store in Seattle and had it shipped to my local GC. When we opened the carton up I was confused that they had sent a footswitch with the amp since it doesn't use one. I later realized that they had seen the 1/4" bias jack input on the back panel, and without bothering to read what it said they found a used footswitch to include.

I spent 50 years looking for “the guitar.” It’s on the left in my avatar. It’s beat to snot, and the fingerboard had to be scraped with a credit card edge, and then cleaned several times. The fingerboard still looks dirty. There are plenty of chips on the edges, and a small patch of bare wood on the back edge. Every single time I plug it in, it takes my breath away. As others have said, if you love it, don’t even think of selling it. ROI? HAH! This is a tool, if you use it and enjoy it, it’ll be worth less to others. And much more to you.

Given what mint or very good condition PRS are going for right now, I think you got a fair deal. You might be able to return it, and hold out for a similar (or slightly better) deal on an older, but better condition, core model of some kind, but if you like the guitar and it works, I don’t think you got taken advantage of.

I could see trying to haggle if you ordered it, but you bought it in person. You could see/feel any flaws. I think the guitar looks pretty sweet! but there's a pretty good return policy if you don't care for it anymore!

Back