HELP PRS Newbie!

That's a really good point. I didn't even think of that nor did I see the clouding on the finish. I'm trying to be patient but I'm gigging again and I don't feel comfortable playing my LP on stage

There are a few sweet looking '13-'14 models within your budget on Reverb.

I agree a DGT could serve you well, especially if you like having the dual volume controls.

I totally get it with your LP. The other guitarist in my band had an LP that made his left arm go numb!

There are a few sweet looking '13-'14 models within your budget on Reverb.

I agree a DGT could serve you well, especially if you like having the dual volume controls.

I totally get it with your LP. The other guitarist in my band had an LP that made his left arm go numb!
Could you send me a link to those guitars on Reverb? Ive searched reverb up and down and cant find one i like

I'll echo others and encourage you to try a DGT and an sc245. The Santana is also one that might surprise you with its gibsonesque tones and I am surprised no one has mentioned a 594 as a possibility.
Obvs one of the dual-humbucker singlecuts, it's just a matter of which one. Do you like the LP's scale?
Not sure if I was clear on this.. Im not a fan of the sound or feel of my les paul at all. Im looking for something completely different and pretty much have my heart set on a Custom 22. Thanks for the advice, but not looking for Gibsonesqe. Looking for PRS ;)

Not sure if I was clear on this.. Im not a fan of the sound or feel of my les paul at all. Im looking for something completely different and pretty much have my heart set on a Custom 22. Thanks for the advice, but not looking for Gibsonesqe. Looking for PRS ;)

gotcha ;). there are a lot choices for you then. I would really recommend a used custom 22 with a wide thin neck or a used DGT (roughly pattern regular). Runner ups might be a used SAS or studio.

PS. It wasn't my intention to imply that a Santana sounds just like a les paul/sg, but certainly they feel more like it than the other models due to the shorter scale and flatter radius and because of the shorter scale also approach that type of tone. The vibrato bridge is the source of a lot of the "PRS" tone to me.

Last edited:
Cu22s can be had for your budget or less just be patient (if thats possible)
As far as necks go for me its the width and the flatter scale ( 12 ) on the Gibson that makes them harder to play for me.
I am very happy with the Pattern and WF on PRS ( they all are nice tho )
I would also look at DTGs , 513s , MC58
Check out the PRS forums and Vintage Rocker they often have great gear for sale ( ask me how I know ;) )
Good hunting
PS Heres my CU22 just to wet your whistle

Oh. Well, then, a Cu22 is an excellent choice.

One thing on SC's. I tried one locally at our Guitar Center and it was a boat anchor. If you have your heart set on a CU 22, on Reverb, put in at the top "PRS CU 22" and it should bring up every one of those listed, so you don't have to go through 157 pages there.

Go to the PRS Dealer's page on the PRS site and start looking through all the dealer listings for what you want.
The PRS site will take you right to each dealers home web page.

Some of the other models offered by posters here are close to a CU 22. While you are on the PRS page, start familiarizing yourself with the slight differences between the models. It is worth it and will help you widen your search criteria to get you a PRS faster.

Also consider this: You may not wish to spend 2.5k right now, but if you can find the exact guitar you want and it appears to cost that or a bit more, save for it and get exactly what you desire. Accept no substitutes or settle for less then the guitar you are after.

Good luck, and good hunting.
Stephen

Back