HELP PRS Newbie!

NicksToneShack

Hello all. Let me start off by saying im new to this fourm and PRS guitars in general. I currently own a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional. Its a beautiful guitar. However, its so heavy and uncomfortable that I dont play it enough and I also dont even enjoy the sound of it anymore. A couple weeks ago, I started researching alternatives, and boom, I absolutely fell head over heels for PRS guitars. Im currently looking to get one ASAP. I really like the Custom 22. However, from the info ive gathered, they went out of production for a few years and maybe thats why I cant find one that I like. Im in love with the lighter blue colors that PRS has offered over the years. Just most of the Custom 22s I see are either really old (1990-2003) or super expensive ($3000+ USED). Maybe someone can help me understand. I have about $2500 MAX. REALLY dont want to spend that much. Would consider a custom 24 also, but prefer the 22. Not sure where to look, ive been searching on reverb.com and ebay and craigslist and guitarcenter for about a week and have yet to come across anything i really LOVE except this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/18212954589...49&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&autorefresh=true Maybe someone can take a look at that and tell me if its a good buy. ALL HELP APPRECIATED. Thanks guys

Looks good to me, especially since the seller offers the original pickups. You can always change he hardware to your preferences later. And it is in your price range. Don't let it slip you by.

Last edited:
Do you want a trem or would a stoptail version be o.k.? Also, are you looking for the older switching options (3-way and/or rotary) or are you open to the newer blade switches? There are a number of options out there, but we can't help locate stuff if we don't know what you are / aren't looking for.

Since you are a Les Paul player currently...have you given any thought of purchasing a PRS SC variation or maybe even a McCarty? I was a LP Player for years before I made the conversation and while a Custom 22 was my first purchase, I found myself drawn towards the extra body thickness of the McCarty and when PRS started making SCs later on I started getting into them.

Do you want a trem or would a stoptail version be o.k.? Also, are you looking for the older switching options (3-way and/or rotary) or are you open to the newer blade switches? There are a number of options out there, but we can't help locate stuff if we don't know what you are / aren't looking for.

Since you are a Les Paul player currently...have you given any thought of purchasing a PRS SC variation or maybe even a McCarty? I was a LP Player for years before I made the conversation and while a Custom 22 was my first purchase, I found myself drawn towards the extra body thickness of the McCarty and when PRS started making SCs later on I started getting into them.

I prefer trem, but if I loved everything else i wouldnt mind a stoptail. Also, i prefer the blade switch but am fine with the 3 way / rotary if everything else is good. Also, I dont like the way the les paul feels at all, and have held a custom 22 and am in love with the way it feels in my hands.

Lolks good to me, especially since the seller offers the original pickups. You can always change he hardware to your preferences later. And it is in your price range. Don't let it slip you by.
My only concerns are the fact that the neck was refinished, and that the hardware looks worn and dirty. I contacted the seller multiple times to try to get info on it but still no response.

I recently bought a whale blue CE 24 wth disgusting hardware. You can take it apart and clean it, which is what I did. If you like the wide/fat neck (I do) and love the color (I do), then get ready to pull the trigger. i`ve always felt that a guitar that`s been played has great value. If it sounded good enough for someone else to gig on, there`s something in there. Some people want a case queen that is pristine. I think these are incredibly beautiful tools. I take care of all my tools, but a little wear doesn`t bother me. It`s really beautiful, and I find myself playing my PRS trem guitars more and more, although I won`t sell my stoptails. The switching part is 6 of one, half dozen of the other to me. All that really matters is that the sounds that come out make you happy. Mine make me really, really happy.

That's Blue Mateo, not Whale Blue.

Be wary of the finish issues. Since it's second hand, you'll have no warranty if the clouding in the clear coat spreads.

My opinion is be patient. You have a good budget for a nice used Cu22.

I prefer trem, but if I loved everything else i wouldnt mind a stoptail. Also, i prefer the blade switch but am fine with the 3 way / rotary if everything else is good. Also, I dont like the way the les paul feels at all, and have held a custom 22 and am in love with the way it feels in my hands.

Do you recall if the CU22 that you held was an older one with a WideFat neck or a newer one with the Pattern neck; there is definitely a difference in feel. Since you are into trem's I might suggest to include Singlecut Trem's into your mix of guitars to consider given it's thinner body (compared to a regular SC), controls and shared neck carve with the CU22...also you should be able to easily find some in your price range; ex = https://www.gbase.com/gear/paul-reed-smith-prs-singlecut-20th-anniversary-10-top-2006-blue Also you didn't mention searching on GBase...it's another good resource.

If would also be remised if I didn't mention the DGT; I think it would offer you a good option and again...there are some good ones out there; ex = https://www.gbase.com/gear/paul-reed-smith-dgt-david-grissom-signatu-201-2

That's Blue Mateo, not Whale Blue.

Be wary of the finish issues. Since it's second hand, you'll have no warranty if the clouding in the clear coat spreads.

My opinion is be patient. You have a good budget for a nice used Cu22.
That's a really good point. I didn't even think of that nor did I see the clouding on the finish. I'm trying to be patient but I'm gigging again and I don't feel comfortable playing my LP on stage

That's a really good point. I didn't even think of that nor did I see the clouding on the finish. I'm trying to be patient but I'm gigging again and I don't feel comfortable playing my LP on stage

If your Les Paul is giving you the tones you want, you should be using it to make music - at home and on stage. I'm super careful of my guitars, I hate it when they get a ding. But I bought them to play them. Unless your LP is an irreplaceable historic guitar, you should be playing it - everywhere you are making music.

But if your LP is too heavy and its tones aren't getting the job done, sell it and move on to something else. Why have money tied up in something that isn't working for you and you don't play?

If your Les Paul is giving you the tones you want, you should be using it to make music - at home and on stage. I'm super careful of my guitars, I hate it when they get a ding. But I bought them to play them. Unless your LP is an irreplaceable historic guitar, you should be playing it - everywhere you are making music.
That's not the problem. It has dings I don't mind. I don't like it because it's heavy, has a huge neck, terrible intonation, and I don't like how it sounds.

Obvs one of the dual-humbucker singlecuts, it's just a matter of which one. Do you like the LP's scale?

I'll echo others and encourage you to try a DGT and an sc245. The Santana is also one that might surprise you with its gibsonesque tones and I am surprised no one has mentioned a 594 as a possibility.

The Santana is also one that might surprise you with its gibsonesque tones and I am surprised no one has mentioned a 594 as a possibility.
I don't think he would like the Santana as he thought his LP neck was huge and didn't like it.

I totally would've said to look into a 594, but he said his budget was around $2500 max, so that took this brand new model out of the running.

I don't think he would like the Santana as he thought his LP neck was huge and didn't like it.

I totally would've said to look into a 594, but he said his budget was around $2500 max, so that took this brand new model out of the running.

I hear you and just to play devil's advocate, I've seen some recent vintage Santanas spec'd as having a pattern neck and (IMO) the slightly narrower nut width on the Santana carves makes it feel a little smaller than it is. I would also describe the thickness as being somewhere in between an R8 and R9 but I don't know what's on LP traditionals these days. Apologies, didn't notice the 2500$ max before.

Back