Help Please

Zachary Riggs

Ive had a Fender Champion for night use and a Deluxe Reverb for when no one is home.

I’m starting to get curious about PRS amps since I own two of their guitars.

I play blues/rock, but have recently gotten into country music. Think Alan Jackson twang. I thought about a Sonzera, but recently noticed some Archons on stage at the CMA. I haven’t really got an option to play in a local store, but thought about driving to Sweetwater soon. I guess I would still like to hear a range of opinions.

Thanks, glad to be part of the forums.

Welcome Zachary!

If you get the opportunity to try a few PRS amps, your only problem will be deciding which one to buy, so best plan on getting them all;)

As will be said by others, which amp is right for you depends on what style you like to play, how loudly/softly you play, the guitar you are playing, etc, etc...

I love my Archon and my HXDA, but they are different animals that do different things. So try whatever you can get a chance to play through, listen to about 400 you-tube clips, then buy what will be best for you!

Another factor is budget, of course.

If you can only afford something below $1400, for example, then you are looking at new Archon 25 combos, Sonzeras, or the MT15 ("soon", supposedly). I think everything else is MAPped above that price point. But the used market can open up some possibilities, depending on how patient you are.

For country, my bet would be that the DG30 or DG50 will be a sound you might like - from what I gather it is a Fender Tweed like sound (vs the super cleans and high gain lead channels of the Archon). And the DG might be a good fit for some blues/rock.

Browse the Amp forum here, you might get some ideas, especially from threads where people ask or discuss "this" vs "that".

Back