Fernando Calderon

Good morning all, hoping you and yours are safe.

Recently I got the chance to purchase, second-hand, one of my dream guitars. This is a 2009 Standard 24 Satin. Got it from a private seller in another state here in México.

Upon arrival I disassembled everything carefully to make sure all is original and in place. But noticed the following:

The pickups seemed to be originally covered. They have wax around them and soldering iron on the bottom, characteristic of covered pickups.

They have the Vintage Bass and HFS stickers on them, but after some research on the web I can't find pictures of these with that particular appearance (showing the bottom side of the magnets, instead of just the 2 screws, makes sense?). I am a little nervous this might not be original, but I have contacted the seller and am waiting for his reply.

Has any of you seen these particular model of Vintage Bass and HFS? Pictures below...

IMG_1792.jpg

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

Good morning! It’s highly possible that someone put a set of covers on for a period of time. They’re not terribly hard to install or remove. I wouldn’t worry too much, the stickers match the ones on my 2003 ce24. The big question for me is always how does it sound? I‘be had my eye on one for a while. I think they’re great guitars. I have an all mahogany S2 that screams.

Good morning! It’s highly possible that someone put a set of covers on for a period of time. They’re not terribly hard to install or remove. I wouldn’t worry too much, the stickers match the ones on my 2003 ce24. The big question for me is always how does it sound? I‘be had my eye on one for a while. I think they’re great guitars. I have an all mahogany S2 that screams.

It does sound good. Main concern here is the seller is the was the only owner and did not disclose any modifications on the guitar - hence my worry these might not be the originals and only changed out the stickers.

As far as playability goes, totally recomend it. The finish feels great, so if you've been eyeing one go for it!!

I think you are right to question the pickups. I don't remember PRS pickups ever having an "F" and an "R" stamped on the back. They may have, but I don't remember it. Most have a "PRS" stamped on the back. The gray wire cover would be ok, but not gray and black in the same pickup set. It's one or the other for the same year pickups. The stickers have definitely been removed and replaced at least once. The cover solder seems like it was done after it left the factory so that doesn't help either way. My best guess is these are not original pickups and worse yet, are not PRS pickups. I could be wrong, and I hope I am. Sorry bud. Maybe the guy will come clean and tell you what they really are but it's not probable.

Well fellas, talked to the seller who said that while on his ownership the guitar did not have any modifications. He did say that it had been hanging for a while in the store that he bought it at, and only sent it out once for maintenance. I have been doing a lot of research through the weekend and indeed these definitely are not PRS pickups. Whoever took them out and put these on did a very clean job, however - to even transferring the stickers. Pots and 5-way rotary are the originals.

The pickups switch correctly, just like normal PRS pickups with a 5-way rotary. Kind of a bummer. Sent an email to PRS Customer Service but the folk told me they were legit only based on the stickers. I'm thinking they are some sort of higher-end Epiphone or just OEM Asian pickups.

I'm trying to make a deal with the seller as he sustains that he was not aware that they are not original. From there, I'd really like to get some VB and HFS replacements to drop in.

'Positive' thing is that the guitar was not that expensive - around 750 USD in Mexican pesos, and what I'd call 8/10 condition, for what has been exactly what I have wanted since Junior High.

Being new to PRSs, would you guys consider I should send her out with to the tech to check the truss rod works all right? I would do it myself but the sale did not include the original tools.

Thank you all for your help!

Guess this is the time to post the official "new to the forum, here's my PRS" pic.

Xo6cFup.jpg

Sorry they turned out to be something different than what you wanted. Hopefully it still sounds good to you. It looks like a great guitar.

Nice! A set of HFS/VB is not that difficult, or expensive, to find. The truss rod tool is also easy to find as well.
Price looks good by any standards, so I think you did OK in that transaction!
Enjoy your guitar!!!

Back