Help Me

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I've been messing with Help Me by Joni Mitchell, do any of you know what time signatures are used throughout the song?

I Google it and it says 4/4 at 81 BPM which it is but there are different time signatures within the song.

This is only to satisfy my curiosity. I'd like to know how to count it.

Thanks all!

A few years ago a recreated music for a song that my friend was going to sing at a wedding.

I was beating my head against the wall because my music wasn't counting out correctly.

I broke down and bought the sheet music and found one measure of 2/4 time towards the end of the song.

??? Lol

Ok, so I’ve listened to the track.

I think what you’re hearing as time signature changes are offbeat/cross beat fills.

The vocals are quite syncopated in places, almost jazz-like in phrasing.

I’m gonna post this here if other wish to comment.

It’s a lovely song, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Ok, so I’ve listened to the track.

I think what you’re hearing as time signature changes are offbeat/cross beat fills.

The vocals are quite syncopated in places, almost jazz-like in phrasing.

I’m gonna post this here if other wish to comment.

It’s a lovely song, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Its one of my favorite songs.

I Google it and it showed a portion of the music but not the part in question.

Google SAYS 4/4 81 BPM but I guarantee there is a measure or two of something other than 4/4.

Now it's driving me nuts!!!

I think Alnus is right here! I have known this song nearly my whole life and never thought about it before (BTW, the whole album it is from, Court and Spark is legendary - double platinum and named #110 in Rolling Stone magazines top 500 rock albums ever) but I think she is vocally riffing over a 4/4 the whole time!! The syncopation of vocal phrasings could certainly lead one astray on the beats though at times!!! I might have to adapt this one from a male perspective and start playing it, I have always loved it!!!!

I think Alnus is right here! I have known this song nearly my whole life and never thought about it before (BTW, the whole album it is from, Court and Spark is legendary - double platinum and named #110 in Rolling Stone magazines top 500 rock albums ever) but I think she is vocally riffing over a 4/4 the whole time!! The syncopation of vocal phrasings could certainly lead one astray on the beats though at times!!! I might have to adapt this one from a male perspective and start playing it, I have always loved it!!!!
Look at the dotted half note at the bottom......3/4 time!

The dotted half note is the only note in that measure. A dotted half is 3 beats.

Right before return to Coda there is a 3/4 measure. This shows more than the one I Google.

Thanks
I see what you are saying though, there are two spots in there that look to me like 5/4 (lines 5 and 9) in that sheet music! I will try playing through and see what it feels like!

Right before return to Coda there is a 3/4 measure. This shows more than the one I Google.

Thanks

Glad to be of help.

My old man eyes missed that at first glance. Also it was a cheeky download (sharpen in tools) for research purposes, so the definition isn’t great.

Yeah I know excuses, excuses.

I see what you are saying though, there are two spots in there that look to me like 5/4 (lines 5 and 9) in that sheet music! I will try playing through and see what it feels like!

I think Gush is right, there’s three beats in each of those bars.

I have a music friend that insisted this song is 4/4 throughout.

I politely asked her to check her sheet music a little closer. I also said that I'm prepared to be wrong but I was certain I was not.

She sent me screen shots of the sheet music she bought. There is more than one spot of 3/4 time sig on this song.

So there you go.........

There has been a lot of debate about this song. Local, FB and forum friends alike.

The fact that it's not straight 4/4 is settled but what remains in question is what proper notation actually is?

In reality, it's just an exercise in mathematics. Jumping from 4/4 to 2/4 and back again further complicates things.

The sheet music my friend Nikki showed me indicates 4/4 and 2/4 throughout the entire song and 3/4 in key areas. The half measures are what makes it hard to figure out by ear because if you count it as 4/4 everything after that will be incorrect. Pretty cool stuff.

Back