Help me pick

Gtrbldr

Not a new member
Well, question of the ages: if you can buy one more guitar, live in a certain place and have a certain budget: what would you choose and why? And I am that guy and need some input :).

I have a cu24 (57/08), core starla and a mcsoapy korina. I want another 22 fret prs guitar, dc shape. Love the ergonomics of my mccarty. I have narrowed it down to
- CU22 (not decided on trem or not), there are some available
- locally available mccarty ii (opaque)

Pickup chance will most likely be imminent, because I am a low output PU guy and most available guitars are pre 5xxx series.

A Vela perhaps?
A little left of center perhaps, but this would be my next if I was on the hunt
Thanks, condidered it, but too much of an overlap with my starla. The neck PU is different, but not in a way that is working for me.

Context; I play in church and we have rather agressive stage lights in terms of electro magnetic interference. My McCarty sounds great, but is not useable because of those lights. I need hummies to deal with the noize. So that puts me in the 22 fret dual humbucker direction. And a wide fat neck :)

Well, if it were me my first thought would be a McCarty. Ive never tried the II with the active electronics but you mentioned changing pickups that may not be an issue. When i decided to buy a Mcarty it was when they were doing the II and i didnt think i wanted that. Lucky for me they did the experience run of guitars to introduce the 5708 pickups. I love the 5708 pickups in my Mcarty. I also like the seymour duncan Seth Lovers.

My second thought would be a Vela. I know you mentioned you considered it but decided against it because of the pickups. Hear me out haha :p.
Since you mentioned you would probably change the pickups anyway you could put a 5708 or something similar in The bridge and a mini humbucker in the neck. A semihollow vela could be cool. I do own a Vela but I have kept the stock pickups.

I don't know why but........ PRS Doubleneck :) I could play Xanadu everyday!! Maybe even learn.. The Song Remains the Same and Rain Song !! And NO...... I won't play Hotel California :rolleyes:

OHHHH It's about you..... Get a Santana!! of course :):p

If you have an opportunity to try a 408 it could be just what you are looking for. Very versatile!
Recently there was one up for sale, for a very reasonable price, but someone snagged it before I could.

Today I might be transforming my McSoapy with noiseless Mojotone p90s, and if they fit that alters the search a little.

I don't know why but........ PRS Doubleneck :) I could play Xanadu everyday!! Maybe even learn.. The Song Remains the Same and Rain Song !! And NO...... I won't play Hotel California :rolleyes:

OHHHH It's about you..... Get a Santana!! of course :):p
Santanas are cool, but I already have the 24fret PRS with trem filled. Other than Sergios mantra I have no real justification for a guitar like that

Thanks, condidered it, but too much of an overlap with my starla. The neck PU is different, but not in a way that is working for me.

Context; I play in church and we have rather agressive stage lights in terms of electro magnetic interference. My McCarty sounds great, but is not useable because of those lights. I need hummies to deal with the noize. So that puts me in the 22 fret dual humbucker direction. And a wide fat neck :)

If you aren't adverse to turning your pedal board into a spaghetti monster (4 cable method) you might check out an ISP Decimator II G String. It'll kill the noise and not effect your tone. The only down side is the 4 cable method does muck up a pedal board a bit.

Santanas are cool, but I already have the 24fret PRS with trem filled. Other than Sergios mantra I have no real justification for a guitar like that
I really think you should consider a Modern Eagle V. You get an amazing amount of sounds with it. If you prefer the stoptail, look into a Paul’s guitar post 2018 with 408 TCI pickups my opinion. Both 22 fret.

Do you have any bolt-on guitars? If not, I'd consider a CE-22. Like how you narrowed it down to A or B and most of us are offering an option C?

McCarty is the safe choice, since you have the McSoapy already. Awesome guitar.

A 594 is also a great option since it will give you something different and this have lower output pickups than the regular McCarty. Or even the McCarty II.

Back