Help me pick which Core model as first PRS

Painting with broad strokes: the 594 and DGT lean toward vintage playability and sound, the CU24 leans toward modern, and the 509 is right in the middle as a do-it-all option.

For my money it would be the Studio (ok my #1 is actually a Studio) because I like 3 pickup versatility and I can’t stand 2 volumes, but wouldn’t throw any of these out. 509 would be my last choice.

Every single one of the PRS guitars offer something unique from other PRS models so it really comes down to what you specifically need, want, prefer etc.

The 594 is a 'Vintage Les Paul' inspired guitar with a bit more versatility - it has the same '8' options as a Cu24-08 but obviously a different vibe, feel, sound etc.
The DGT is more of a Classic LP inspired guitar - a bit more bite/punch and of course comes with a Trem too
The 24-08 is a Modern instrument and most PRS like tone...
509 is a Super-strat and incredibly versatile too - although a bit of a Jack of all trades, master of none.
The Studio is more of a HSS style modern strat...

Personally, looking at the range of guitars you have considered, I would recommend the Special Semi Hollow - you get the '594' Pups, each individually coil splittable to give you a LP like guitar and a trem like the DGT too. Whilst you don't get to use the middle pup, (like you do with the Studio and 509), you do get the two HB's (so 4 tonal options) from the middle position but also get the 'position 2/4' stratty sounds of the 509/studio. It won't sound like the 509/Cu24-08. It will be closer to the Studio and 594 but still have its own thing and they are often around 7lbs in weight so not as heavy as the others either...

However, as its not my money, not me that will be playing and I don't know exactly what you want, need, prefer etc so that decision has to be your own. All I can do is try to give you the information you need to be able to decide which would be the 'best' option for you at this point in time. Like most of us, once you do buy, I doubt it will be your 'last' PRS so maybe decide which would suit you most 'now' and go that route, adding to your growing PRS collection over time...

Given your desire for rock/hard rock etc if you want PRS then I would pick the 594.. but I would get the DC to maintain the classy PRS look.

The 594 are certainly great sounding guitars but do sound somewhat like every other generic lighter weight, solid mahogany body with maple cap and set neck guitar with +/- a 24.75" scale... ie kinda somewhat not like a Les Paul Standard...so accept in advance it will not sound like a Les Paul.. fwiw, my 594DC sounds more in the ballpark of my Les Paul DC ..which of course is also a lighter weight, mahogany body with maple cap and set neck.. which kinda proves my point..lol

THE PRS of course is the custom 24 and that is also a great guitar so for my 2c if you want ONE wall art PRS i would pick the CU24

Oh my! What a response. Thank you for all your replies and the welcome! :)

Seems everyone suggested basically everything, haha :D Eventually I might end up getting all of them, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

To be honest, I'm not too fussed about trem/no trem. If it has it, great! If it doesn't, it's OK.
Same for the neck size, number of frets and scale length. I haven't tried too many guitars but those I've tried, it didn't matter that much. What matters most to me is the sound, as well as string action which I prefer somewhat low.

My current guitar roster is just a JP6 and a JP7 BFR. Obviously, quite thin neck, medium jumbo frets and very low string action. But like I said, it doesn't matter too much to me.

Right now, both of my guitars are quite modern sounding pickups and very similar pickups.
I'd prefer something better suited for classic rock tones. Not that they can't do that, I think almost any guitar can "do" any sound, but guitars can be clearly better for (and geared towards) a specific genre/sound.

Based on your replies, it sounds like 509 are best if you want a stratty sound, which I'm currently not after. Studio seemed to be in the same ballpark but a little more versitile. So I think I can cross those off the list (at least for my first PRS :p ).

As for the other 3, I think I'm fairly clear that the CU24-08 is the most modern sounding of them. Kanami sounds great! And it is a very popular model. However as for the other two, I am very curious about the tonal differences between the DGT and 594. I'm having a hard time placing their sound. I tried looking at some youtube comparison but not a lot out there. Plus I'd rather hear comments from you who actually owns them instead of reviewers.

Seems everyone suggested basically everything, haha :D Eventually I might end up getting all of them, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

To be honest, I'm not too fussed about trem/no trem. If it has it, great! If it doesn't, it's OK.
Same for the neck size, number of frets and scale length. I haven't tried too many guitars but those I've tried, it didn't matter that much. What matters most to me is the sound, as well as string action which I prefer somewhat low.

My current guitar roster is just a JP6 and a JP7 BFR. Obviously, quite thin neck, medium jumbo frets and very low string action. But like I said, it doesn't matter too much to me.

Right now, both of my guitars are quite modern sounding pickups and very similar pickups.
I'd prefer something better suited for classic rock tones. Not that they can't do that, I think almost any guitar can "do" any sound, but guitars can be clearly better for (and geared towards) a specific genre/sound.

Based on your replies, it sounds like 509 are best if you want a stratty sound, which I'm currently not after. Studio seemed to be in the same ballpark but a little more versitile. So I think I can cross those off the list (at least for my first PRS :p ).

As for the other 3, I think I'm fairly clear that the CU24-08 is the most modern sounding of them. Kanami sounds great! And it is a very popular model. However as for the other two, I am very curious about the tonal differences between the DGT and 594. I'm having a hard time placing their sound. I tried looking at some youtube comparison but not a lot out there. Plus I'd rather hear comments from you who actually owns them instead of reviewers.
This is a great video for the 594. Tim and Howard certainly make them sound great.

Here are a couple for the DGT. The DGT has some of the best split sounds from a Humbucker loaded PRS, IMO.

If I had to describe the difference between a 594 and DGT, I'd say the 594 is more 'vintage' - more a PAF Les Paul type sound where as the DGT is more of a Classic 'Burstbucker' Les Paul like sound with s bit more bite/punch.

Both guitars originate from PRS's attempts at making classic sounding 'Gibson' inspired instruments which gave us the Original McCarty. Dave Grissom was involved in the McCarty development and then took that 'base' and tweaked it for his 'signature' model - the DGT. When doing clinics, it became obvious no-one really knew what a 'Vintage' LP with PAF's actually sounded like as many have never seen or heard one of those LP's, so that inspired the 594. Basically, they are all 'McCarty's' - the more classic/vintage inspired range of PRS guitars...

Based on everything you said in your above post I would strongly be leaning towards a 594 Single Cut or similar model. You may even consider a Tremonti Signature. Since your guitars have trems you may want to go fixed on the first one. YMMV

I had a DGT and still have a semi hollow 594. For sound differences the DGT is hotter and has a bit more snap due to the 25 inch scale length and trem. The 594 will be much lower output and warmer but still with a sweet top end and great string clarity.

If you don’t really care about neck shape and scale length and are just going for classic rock tone I’d go with a 594. It’s basically as close to a vintage Les Paul as you’ll get from PRS. To give you an idea, my 594 nails the tone from working man by Rush which was recorded on an ES-355 going into a Marshall.

Back